• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a ODT EMT Justify $1100.00 16 mile ride to Hospital

Zastava

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   1
Reaction score
Ambulance Ride...Bleeding was stopped by people on the seen with a 1st aid kit before they arrived...
Few min into the ride
Icepack and Oxygen had to be asked for due to lightheadedness . No additional care given.
16 miles to Hospital
X
Chaching $1100.00 tab

Sucks to hear be glad it wasn't the helicopter.

This...your looking more like 50k+ easy......that's about the going rate....it's much cheaper if your able to, to have someone else drive you (coming, from someone who went to EMT school). It's a very valuable service especially during critical or life and death but, it ain't cheap, and insurance won't pay for all of it.....

Last edited:
experienced this with my grandmother, she broke her ankle and was crying bloody murder ( if she has a scratch you'd swear someone stabbed her the way she yells, very low pain tolerance). me and my grandfather got her in the car and then my grandfather said "lets call an ambulance for her instead" i said that we should drive her ourselves. ambulance arrives and takes her to the hospital no blood or any care really done

his copay just for the ride was a couple hundred bucks, he still complains about it today. i do wish he'd follow my advice sometimes

i had a former fellow student in my hvac class in college drive himself to the hospital twice and he is still alive, if your bleeding out or shot then call an ambulance but if you can have someone drive you or drive your self safely do it

Last edited:
1100 is about right, we charge around 1600. if you have health insurance most of the time they cover the transport 100%

something to keep in mind is there are alot of costs to run an ambulance service. ambulances can cost 200k and up, insurance is astronomical, medical supplies are very expensive. for example our two way radios are around 3k a pop, computer around 5k, cardiac monitor is in the 20-30k range. this costs gets passed down. sadly not to my paycheck though.

also if i may ask, what happened and why did you go to the hospital? not trying to be rude but im trying to help provide some insight. if you dont want to say i understand.

Back
Top Bottom