• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can I get more HP out of my Safari Van

Grub Master

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
102   0
Reaction score
I have a 2003 GMC Safari with 80K miles. It has the standard Chevy V6. It runs great except now that we are living in Jasper it's sluggish getting up the hills. It's never been tuned up and I'm wondering if besides putting new plugs in, is there anything I can do to add a little more get up and go.

Yes

you can do tune up and adjust timing some ,or change gears back

I had one and we put 4:10 In and it was truly a peppy vehicle for a van

then that wasn’t enough and then we addd a s10 extreme v6 super charger
It took some modifications make work and custom brackets etc but we manage it

we made extra 80 hp with it

you could do a tune up and little exhaust work make sure cats are not getting clogged and intake and programmer and you could gain around 20 more
Make sure change thermostat to 160 when you do

You should be able to. GM used the same 4.3 V6 for years, so there should lots of info on tuning it out there. Just make sure your transmission is still in good condition.

You should be able to. GM used the same 4.3 V6 for years, so there should lots of info on tuning it out there. Just make sure your transmission is still in good condition.
Transmission is ok but starting to shift slowly coming out of second gear.
sniper22 sniper22 I assume the cold air intake could help but not sure I'm up to programing anything. I have a hard time with the cable remote. I'll put the plugs in and a cold air intake and see what happens.
Lockout Lockout , the check eng. light has been on and off 4 years and has been on for awhile now. Code said the second bank O2 sensor and I'll replace it. No clue if that is an issue or not. A mechanic the other day said the thermostat wasn't working properly and I'm clueless if that could be an issue.
Looks like, plugs, cold intake, O2 sensor and a thermostat. All things I can do.

Back
Top Bottom