• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

can we trade reloads here?

You've asked a good question whose answer has legal implications under both "tort" and "equity".

First of all it is illegal to "sell" ammunition that you make without a specific license to do so (I'm personally glad that such is required, aren't you?).
Secondly, if you "sell" ammunition that you make / reload, even if the person acknowledges and accepts their responsibility for any problems,
their surviving families and lawyers will come after you.
Thirdly, "Trade", "Barter", "Exchange", "Sell" are usually considered equivalent transactions. Even "Gift" can be problematic!

I have exchanged reloaded ammunition with experienced re-loaders that I know and trust, but that is not a frequent activity and not done
without due consideration! Mostly, it is done with the specific understanding that the ammunition will be "pulled" and then reloaded by the person accepting it.

Ask any experience re-loader whether or not they have ever had a "squib" or overcharged load ... Experience re-loaders are always checking their loads for signs of such, even with those
loaded by the major manufacturers! Especially when loads are at MAX, a "Safe" load in one firearm, may be "Unsafe" in another ...

This should go in the Sticky: Rules and Guidelines or Reloading Questions. Well Put Clarke123!

Two occasions come to mind. This was not reloads, it was factory ammo. The first was a 22 rim fire. There was no cleaning rod on the range that day for a 22 so after getting a piff from a round I had no choice but to quit firing the rifle. semi-auto. could not see light through the barrel. Next one was 308 factory loads in a new rifle. The first round felt a little "hot", the second round was ok. Third round was , "I knew with out a doubt it was Hot". Down loaded the rest of that box and found a 9 grain difference between the lowest and the highest load. Some one on another forum said that wasn't possible with factory ammo. go figure. I checked the lot number on the other two boxes purchased at the same time and they were the same as the other. didn't try to fire any of them, just down loaded all and re loaded with the same powder and bullets using the lowest load off the batch. Be careful, shoot safe. dos

Reloading question is if someone has ffl to sell guns new gun not c&r. Do they have to have a reloading license too.

Why I ask is I was in a shop they had bags of ammo selling it. Yes ziplock bags of stuff. I wouldn't touch the stuff.

I trust my reloads in my guns that I set up the certain rounds for. But someone elses no not a chance. I know what goes into mine. Heck I don't know what the person was doing at that time, were they at home sick and decided to do some rounds, did they sip a few beers during the time, hey you never know

Reloading question is if someone has ffl to sell guns new gun not c&r. Do they have to have a reloading license too.

Why I ask is I was in a shop they had bags of ammo selling it. Yes ziplock bags of stuff. I wouldn't touch the stuff.

I trust my reloads in my guns that I set up the certain rounds for. But someone elses no not a chance. I know what goes into mine. Heck I don't know what the person was doing at that time, were they at home sick and decided to do some rounds, did they sip a few beers during the time, hey you never know

I agree with you! If I'm going to get my hand blown up for a mistake...Then it will be my own

There are several sellers of re-loaded or manufactured ammo at all the gun shows. They claim to have a license and sell a lot of ammo but I have never seen a license posted or any other proof. If something goes wrong with one of their loads there's no guarantee that they will stand behind what they sell or have the financial backing or insurance. Why take a chance?

You do not want other peoples reloads. I received reloads from a man who has been reloading for some time and had squibs. Never trust anyone's loads but your own. I had to pull all the bullets just to reload them all and seat all the primers properly.

Hell it happens to the best of us

Back
Top Bottom