• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

can we trade reloads here?

In this particular case: Appears that the OP could sell the reloads, just not for profit. Personal Liability would still be an issue.

Nothing illegal here -- everyone ought to do their own reading before proclaiming the law.

For those who just can't let it go -- straight from the ATF Q&A page:

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

In this particular case: Appears that the OP could sell the reloads, just not for profit. Personal Liability would still be an issue.

Nothing illegal here -- everyone ought to do their own reading before proclaiming the law.

For those who just can't let it go -- straight from the ATF Q&A page:

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

My question was if a gun shop that had a ffl to sell, do they need a seperate ffl license to sell the reloads.
I seen that recently at a random gun shop and it got me wondering.

I was only trying to respond to the original question of trading reloads.

But, I will try to answer Codyology as well.

First, I must say that I am not sure. But it is my belief that any FFL may be authorized to manufacture ammo. Anybody can sell ammo, but not anyone can make it for the purpose of selling. I have been told by one of the FFLs that I do business with, that when he manufactures ammo, he has to keep very detailed records and must record "lot numbers" to each batch of ammo he produces. Those numbers are used to isolate any defective ammo as a group.

Partial Answer:

No. A license is not required for a dealer in ammunition only, but a manufacturer or an importer of ammunition must be licensed.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(1)(B)]

My question was if a gun shop that had a ffl to sell, do they need a seperate ffl license to sell the reloads.
I seen that recently at a random gun shop and it got me wondering.

No, if the Dealer is only selling Reloaded ammunition. IF he is the one Reloading the Ammunition, then Yes he has to be a Licensed MANUFACTURER of Ammuniton. The person or Business that is doing the Manfacturing or Reloading is the one that has to be a Licensed FFL Manufaturer, IF they are Selling the Reloaded Ammunition.

Back
Top Bottom