• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Careful at wineries in Dahlonega.

It doesnt matter if its business or personal violating rights is bad

That doesn't clear up anything about my statement. What about my statement says I respect a boot on my neck? Couldn't be more opposite. I'm absolutely opposed to it if the stop is unlawful. Camping outside of a winery and pulling people over randomly is 100% violation of our rights unless there is actual suspicion or observance of a crime occurring. Making a broad assumption that everyone coming out of the winery is committing a crime should not be allowed and immediately admissible in court.

Uber/Lyft operate in Dahlonega?

So I’ve been noticing a lot of state police DUI checkpoints near the wineries in Dahlonega, especially in the weekends and extra especially when wedding receptions let out.
They are nailing people to the cross after coming out of weddings…..be careful.
Don’t drive if you even sipped a damned drink.
Take an Uber, have a designated driver or call Mamas taxi service in Dahlonega.
All she does is cart drunk (but smart) college kids home safely.
I personally got stopped three times in one month going past them in my travels.
Side note: the cops are pretty polite and let you go almost immediately after they just view your license and get a quick look or sniff of you with some possible small talk of you so choose to partake in.

Uber/Lyft operate in Dahlonega?
I’ve never used either but I would safely bet yes.
It’s a college town and the taxis are running like mad 24/7 so I’m sure Uber and lift would be very busy but I just don’t know.
It’s funny cause when my Daughters were going to school on campus up here we knew everything that was going on in town but now that they all graduated and moved on we dont hear anything .
I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you want to find out anything around here the college kids are the ones to ask.
If my girls went to a party or somewhere where alcohol was consumed they always had a ride from me, a designated driver or took Mama’s taxi home and we knew all their friends…good kids.
They were pretty smart kids.

On another note:
If you drive through town or near the square after midnight and a cop gets behind you their favorite tactic is to pull you over for “weaving within your own lane.”
They pulled every one of my Daughters over for that several times over the years while they were driving home from work and got off work late.( restaurant closers and managers.)
My youngest Daughter is much like me and she’s a spitfire.
She finally told one of the cops “Y’all should know my vehicle by now….you pull me over almost every GD night after I close down the restaurant and claim I’m weaving within my own lane…..so either you quit freaking harassing me over this crap and make a mental note of my vehicle or I’m gonna file a formal complaint of harassment on your illegal fishing stops.”
Dudes never messed with her again….haha.

Last checkpoint I saw was near Montelucci which holds wedding receptions and other events regularly.
It was state police, not Sheriffs office or campus police.

Yeah the college kids become a real problem once school is in.
I’ve had to have conversations with quite a few kids that would come in our neighborhood speeding about 50 mph which always has kids, women with strollers and people walking Dogs all the time .
The speed limit is 25 and we always hear neighbors that are walking yelling at young punks speeding past them.

have had several drunk stupid college kids doing stupid stuff around here.

one kids broke into my wife’s van and was passed out in her ransacked van when she got in it to go to work one Monday morning.
I woke him up with my 1911 in my hand.

that was an interesting morning.

kids got kicked out of the ROTC program at the campus.

Four quick points:

1- DUI is not a "victimless crime" even when a traffic accident does not happen from it. It is exposing your fellow motorist and pedestrians and bicyclists all around you to an unacceptable risk of death or serious injury (or property damage)-- therefore it can be made a crime. And it has been made a crime for several generations.

If I go to the top of a skyscraper and start tossing bricks off the roof watching them shatter on the streets and sidewalks below, is this a victimless crime --even if I don't happen to hit anybody?

2-- DUI's are a ittle bit too easy to get. The .08 standard is not unreasonable...

... but the other prong of the DUI called "less safe" is too low of a standard. Especially when it can be combined with a jury instruction by the judge that says any degradation of your driving skills is enough to convict you.

3-- Another problem with the DUI laws are overzealous cops arresting people with little evidence and falsifying evidence or exaggerating the evidence that would indicate impairment, both as to the officer explaining why they had probable cause to make the arrest, and a trial in the less safe cases where there is no blood alcohol test to use as evidence.

If all officers were honest and fair in how they evaluated motorist for potential DUI, then the law would not be so bad.

4-- I think it's absolutely ridiculous that suspicion-less roadblocks can be set up as if we lived in Nazi occupied Europe for such a crime as misdemeanor level DUI, driving without insurance or driving a car with an expired license tag.

The Supreme Court has approved such checkpoints for limited purposes only, and they put DUI - DWI crimes in the same category as catching recently escaped murderers who broke out of the local prison. I can see how checkpoints can be constitutional during an active search for a dangerous fugitive, but not misdemeanor level crimes.

The courts got it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom