• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Carry Permit - Felon

I'm pretty sure that's what happened to him, he was NOT convicted as a felon. Only if he failed to complete the conditions would he be convicted per what I understand via what he said his attorney said.

What legal definition does "disseminates" carry on that form?

means "who can obtain it"

If he successfully completes probation, they notify the judge that first offender is satisfied. Once the judge signs off (they can choose NOT to grant the f.o.a. with cause) then your pal gets a notice from the bench or from probation. Your pal THEN has to stay on top of g c I c (managed by gbi) to update the status of the offense so that it is coded correctly in the database. That is SUPPOSED to be done by the sentencing superior court, but they're not always up to snuff with paperwork. Theoretically, foa only requires that your bud stay clean, but it actually requires some vigilance on his part to ensure everyone does their part.

Last edited:
So that could mean that just because you have a first offender does not necessarily bar you from obtaining a permit...that's how it sounds to me. Thanks by the way.

No not all, but keep in mind first offender and deffered judgement are two completely different things. After i posted that i noticed that wasnt clear. If he plead guilty to a felony under first offender he will still be a convicted felon.

the whole purpose behind this is to give people another shot at life with a decent career. This way they can say "no" they have not been convicted of any crimes on a job application. Completed first offender "should not" show up on a criminal history for employment purposes.

He should be fine, minor. Not a violent act, tell him to apply, trust me, I was arrested under felony charges when I was 15 (Just so no one thinks less of me, I was in a wrong place wrong time situation, did nothing wrong but was still charged on account of someone else), I completed my requirements, and kept my nose clean. I have my GWL, just went up and applied, got my permit 1 month and 1 week later.

This is a section from: The Georgia First Offenders Act, O.C.G.A. § 42-8-62,

Code Section 42-8- 63.1, the discharge shall completely exonerate the defendant of any criminal purpose and shall not affect any of his or her civil rights or liberties; and the defendant shall not be considered to have a criminal conviction.”

Back
Top Bottom