• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry Permit - Felon

It may also just be "automatically" approved but still need the application. I noticed the application also includes a fee as well.

He should probably check with an attorney though to be sure everything is completely taken care of and won't bite him in the butt later in the future. It's probably worth whatever they would charge for such a service imo.

Last edited:
First offender,completed all requirements.Should be no record of charges.but.....the last time I applied. for my renewal which is really a new app in DeKalb they pulled up a charge from Dec 1979,got it fixed and got my permit later in the mail.

I'll have ask him to confirm the first offender status. Thanks bike.

First offender completed will be on your criminal history. The catch is it will not show up on your employment backround check. If charged with another crime his first offender record will be able to be seen by Judges and Law Enforcement officers for the purposes of prosecution.

I went back and looked at my training booklet reguarding criminal histories. When applying for a pistol permit his Completed first offender will show up on his backound check. I hope this helps

Last edited:
First offender completed will be on your criminal history. The catch is it will not show up on your employment backround check. If charged with another crime his first offender record will be able to be seen by Judges and Law Enforcement officers for the purposes of prosecution.

I went back and looked at my training booklet reguarding criminal histories. When applying for a pistol permit his Completed first offender will show up on his backound check. I hope this helps

Would that prevent him from getting the permit and or does he need to apply for a pardon?

The way biker13 was saying how his FO worked was that it didn't show up and he has had no problem getting his permit.

Would that prevent him from getting the permit and or does he need to apply for a pardon?

The way biker13 was saying how his FO worked was that it didn't show up and he has had no problem getting his permit.

In applying for a pardon or expungement there is alot of hassle and paperwork involved.

As far as biker 13, I don't know lol.

The issuing Judge or clerk has alot of lead way in deciding who gets one and who don't.

i know a guy that was convicted of drug charge back in the early 70's with not even as much of a ticket since then and he has got denied.

It is a financial gamble on his part all the way around

In applying for a pardon or expungement there is alot of hassle and paperwork involved.

As far as biker 13, I don't know lol.

The issuing Judge or clerk has alot of lead way in deciding who gets one and who don't.

i know a guy that was convicted of drug charge back in the early 70's with not even as much of a ticket since then and he has got denied.

It is a financial gamble on his part all the way around

So what you are saying is first offender all requirements completed alone = no permit? That's not going to make him happy haha.

Also with convictions you have first offender and what is reffered to as "deferred Judgement".

This basiclly means once you complete probation and everything with it, the case is dismissed and does not show a convition on your criminal history. This could be what Biker 13 went under. The arrest still shows with a dismissal for sentence. Usually with a dismissal it ie easier it get it expunged.

Last edited:
Also with convictions you have first offender and what is reffered to as "deferred Judgement".

This basiclly means once you complete probation and everything with it, the case is dismissed and does not show a convition on your criminal history. This could be what Biker 13 went under. The arrest still shows with a dismissal for sentence

I'm pretty sure that's what happened to him, he was NOT convicted as a felon. Only if he failed to complete the conditions would he be convicted per what I understand via what he said his attorney said.

What legal definition does "disseminates" carry on that form?

I used first offender back in 2008 when I was arrested for driving without a license (trying to drive drunk kids home). Since then, I've been involved with the DKPD in a number of programs that require thorough background checks (volunteers in patrol, citizen's academy etc.) which I've passed, the Marine Corps ran a background check and found nothing (told them about it anyways), and I have gotten a carry permit through DeKalb. I dunno if my charge being a misdemeanor made any difference but it's literally like it never happened.

Back
Top Bottom