• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carrying while hiking or on the AT?

I hiked the top half of the trail in 2010. Started in PA then through NJ, NY, CT, MA, VT, NH and finally ME. Anyone who has hiked considerable distances for weeks or months on end will tell you that you'd be dumb to carry - due to the weight. Statistically speaking, you're in some of the safest areas in the country along the trail. Has stuff happened on the trail, yes, but it is extremely unlikely. Most of the people you meet off the trail are salt of the earth Americans that live in the tiny towns around the trail.

I'll carry a tiny pistol on a weekend hike, but you'll be mailing that pistol home before the NC line if you do a thru hike.

I hiked the top half of the trail in 2010. Started in PA then through NJ, NY, CT, MA, VT, NH and finally ME. Anyone who has hiked considerable distances for weeks or months on end will tell you that you'd be dumb to carry - due to the weight. Statistically speaking, you're in some of the safest areas in the country along the trail. Has stuff happened on the trail, yes, but it is extremely unlikely. Most of the people you meet off the trail are salt of the earth Americans that live in the tiny towns around the trail.

I'll carry a tiny pistol on a weekend hike, but you'll be mailing that pistol home before the NC line if you do a thru hike.

I say it is dumb not to carry everywhere permitted by law.

I have decided on a snubby .357 mag (or my blackhawk .357 for REAL deep woods/REAL bear country), 1-2 rds of snake shots (snakes are mostly what I'm worried about... and people) and then 3-4 personal defense rounds. I have a rottweiler and pitbull hiking with me so they should ward off most natural creatures... and people.

Yep. What I find odd in this thread(on the ODT nonetheless) is the anti carry apologists.
I don't think anyone here is anti carry or apologizing they're just making the point that if you carry in a state that prohibits CCW and you get caught you are going jail for a few years and it's a felony. So if you're willing to do the time and lose your future gun rights forever I say go for it. It's easy to say on ODT "to hell with them I'm carrying" while you're staying in GA or NC but if you have hiked in the northeast you know it is a completely different culture that is not gun friendly. If you were going into NYC, DC or Boston would you carry there? If not, why? There is a lot better chance of getting attacked in any city than on the AT so why not carry in the city?

Whether someone carries on the AT or not, is a personal choice not based on politics but as a matter of what that person feels is a necessity, whether they want to carry the extra weight, have to worry about being arrested or having their gun stolen or if they want to feel more comfortable. I say hike your own hike and carry what you think you need and what you're willing to risk.

I carry all the time. But you can't judge until you've carried everything you own on your back for months on end.

HAHA! I carried an M60 up and down the AT on a three man team. That means I had no AG. I carried all the **** for a crew serve weapon. Tell me again how tough it is to carry a pistol.

I have decided on a snubby .357 mag (or my blackhawk .357 for REAL deep woods/REAL bear country), 1-2 rds of snake shots (snakes are mostly what I'm worried about... and people) and then 3-4 personal defense rounds. I have a rottweiler and pitbull hiking with me so they should ward off most natural creatures... and people.
Are you section hiking or thru hiking? If you are thru hiking you can't have dogs in the backcountry of the GReat Smokie Mountain Park so you'll have to figure out what to do between Fontana Dam, NC and I-40 and a lot of other places (50O+ miles)on the AT require all pets on leashes. Here's a link with some info http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/hiking-basics/groups-families-and-pets

Also having two dogs on a leash with be a headache and don't plan on staying in any shelters so you will have to tent it. Plan on pulling a lot of ticks off every night especially in PA, NJ. A guy I met in PA had to send his dog home because she kept getting so many ticks. Hope you have fun, try and keep you total pack weight under 32lbs including winter layers, 5 days of food and 2 liters of water and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom