• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Carrying" without a permit in GA

I quote 16-3-21 on occasions here, but you left out subsection (b). Furthermore you need to look at OCGA as it pertains to totality of circumstances. If you in your illicit carry of a firearm, use said firearm even in self defense you muddy the water greatly.

Subsection (b) is irrelevant, as it basically states that this is no defense if you're in the commission of a felony, or are the aggressor. Also, carrying a weapon without a license is NOT a felony.

Subsection (b) is irrelevant, as it basically states that this is no defense if you're in the commission of a felony, or are the aggressor. Also, carrying a weapon without a license is NOT a felony.

You are absolutely correct, but bits and piecing to somehow validate you wanting to violate state law was more my point. As I stated, I do not even agree with a permit to carry a firearm of any type. But for now, it is the law.

twilliams. you are going to do what you want. Many have given you good advise. If for whatever reason you come into contact with a police officer and get arrested. I promise you, you will be charged with carrying a concealed weapon if you don't have a permit. This I know, and if you don't have a permit, a conviction for this charge will stop you from being able to get a carry permit. Weigh the cost to you, for just a few more months of not breaking the law..........like you are now.

Thanks for the advice everybody. Going to say that I am working on talking to an attorney that knows how, and if any, cases like this have come out. I don't currently own a pocket gun, but am considering buying one. Yes, I agree Georgia laws are pretty restrictive (when I lived in Kentucky for a few months I could OC and get "thank you"s from cops... Wish it was that way here...). But anyways again, thanks for all the advice, and I am definitely going to talk to an attorney and get a professional opinion on whether or not I would have a case if I was arrested. I will say my personal opinion is that carrying in this manner would be legal, since the legislation is somewhat ambiguous, and a case like this would set a pretty solid case law either way.

Roscoe, I have had many a free consultation with a lawyer and have not been steered wrong yet....I'd stay away from who you've been hearing about...Now those "free court appointed attorney's" now that is a different story. But any lawyer that encouraged unlawful behavior can actually be disbarred. I highly doubt any lawyer making a living off of his $100,000-200,000 degree whom is probably paying in his student loans still will risk it. Go talk to a professional whom deals in that area and use some common sense. You don't need to be a cowboy or a hero

Back
Top Bottom