• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CDL In Progress - A Few Questions

The route that I took was around 30 years ago but it worked out great for me and a few friends that I know.

I started working for an LTL trucking company in the evening on the dock loading and offloading trailers. I made friends with the yard dog guys and asked if they would mind helping me get familiar with operating heavy equipment. I started doing this after my shift ended but quickly learned and transitioned from the dock to the yard. I ended up acquiring my CDL through this company all the while getting supplemental income and all the seat time I needed.

With the right connections and your willingness to work at it this could be an option for you too.

And my personal preference is the early 2000’s KW single cab, chromed out, with white rock lights and a cool sound system 🤷‍♂️🇺🇸

I started drive tractor trailers in 85 and I had an O/O teach me. He told me to be ready to leave in the evening and we'll be gone for a week or two. I showed up at the truck and was about to get into passenger-side and he said, You can't learn to drive a truck over there. Get behind the wheel. I was in Phoenix and by morning we were in LA. I did have some experience from the Army but this is how it happened with me. I've been driving from 85 til 06.... First truck from that day was a cabover Pete with a 290 Cummins with a 10 speed. I've owned 2 Pete 359s one had a 350 Cummins 13 speed the other 400 Cummins 18 speed. 2 KW W900 with the Cummins can't remember size with super 10s. The best truck was a 1969 Pete 359 with a 400 Cummins and a 20 speed..... Good Luck !

I started drive tractor trailers in 85 and I had an O/O teach me. He told me to be ready to leave in the evening and we'll be gone for a week or two. I showed up at the truck and was about to get into passenger-side and he said, You can't learn to drive a truck over there. Get behind the wheel. I was in Phoenix and by morning we were in LA. I did have some experience from the Army but this is how it happened with me. I've been driving from 85 til 06.... First truck from that day was a cabover Pete with a 290 Cummins with a 10 speed. I've owned 2 Pete 359s one had a 350 Cummins 13 speed the other 400 Cummins 18 speed. 2 KW W900 with the Cummins can't remember size with super 10s. The best truck was a 1969 Pete 359 with a 400 Cummins and a 20 speed..... Good Luck !
Duece and a half’s and 5 Tons I’ll bet!👍

Is there an age limit for acquiring a 1st time CDL?
Hello my friend!

I’m not aware of any age limits for acquiring a CDL but to drive professionally a DOT physical would be required and updated as indicated by the physician. Usually good health will get you a 2 year card, and any concerns can require as often as twice annually.

Hope this helps and best of luck with whatever you decide.

I don't know if you don't need a CDL to drive a class 8 tractor if you're not engaged in any sort of commerce, but if you're willing to go that route I would recommend that you have the fifth wheel removed from that bobtail and maybe put some kind of camper back on it --living quarters. Make it obvious that this tractor does not tow trailers.
EF1D36EA-2178-4D8D-BFD3-03CC862001D0.jpeg

The route that I took was around 30 years ago but it worked out great for me and a few friends that I know.

I started working for an LTL trucking company in the evening on the dock loading and offloading trailers. I made friends with the yard dog guys and asked if they would mind helping me get familiar with operating heavy equipment. I started doing this after my shift ended but quickly learned and transitioned from the dock to the yard. I ended up acquiring my CDL through this company all the while getting supplemental income and all the seat time I needed.

With the right connections and your willingness to work at it this could be an option for you too.

And my personal preference is the early 2000’s KW single cab, chromed out, with white rock lights and a cool sound system 🤷‍♂️🇺🇸
Now you have to have a minimum number of hours from an accredited school .

I went to Chattahoochee tech years ago for their cdl program. Was reasonably priced at the time and great instructors. Was shocked by some of the things I saw or heard from other new drivers out of other schools.
It's been years but when I went it was weekdays. Def check to see, though I doubt it.

I'd be really cautious about going to school through a company. Just look up some the horror stories on the internet. There's lots of low paying scum ****ery in the trucking industry.

Back
Top Bottom