• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Change in the ATF processing forms??

If this is truly the nom now, I can stand on my head for 120 days
1st stamp-SBR 118 days
2nd stamp SBS 293 days
3rd -Stamp Can 423 days
4th stamp can 385 days
5 th Stamp can 365 days

I feel you... One of my cans was over the 400 days before I finally got it back. Absolute bs.

Except the whole limited use thing.

• Limited Use of the NFA item(s): - You have to be with the NFA item(s) when it is/they are in use. It is your responsibility to keep the NFA item(s) secure and safe at the location provided on your ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4 or ATF Form 5, with only yourself having access to the item, e.g. you are the only one who can have the safe combination/key if the NFA item(s) is/are in a safe. NFA item(s) can't be left out of a safe when you are not present.

Kind of a wash these days. There's probably a pretty small number of folks who won't be there when their can is being used and hopefully your NFA items are in a safe when you are gone anyway.

That being said I did do the Single Shot Trust on the 2 cans I'm waiting on. There is some benefit to having a trust from a legal standpoint.

BTW, here's a pretty good article explaining the change and why it impacts things from June onward only.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/18/nfa-process-modernized/

It's the barcode Silencer Shop talked about last year, but it sounds as if that alone is responsible. If they really did have 50% data entry errors I guess I could see why.

That article is over 2 years old...

True, but that's about the only change other than the ones described below I could find. They say in the article that the pilot was going to run 8 months, so I could see it just coming into play now... it is the government after all.

The blog post below is from May of 2019, and she describes a couple of other process improvements the NFA branch is using to speed up most suppressor forms.

https://perrysgunshop.com/nfa-modernization-and-reform/

My guess is the drop to 120 days is the result of all these things put together rather than one big change, but that's just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom