• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

City of Atlanta, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it were everyone, then maybe a person would. In this case it is the minority. I don't like working in binaries/.

Take a look at this list again. I copied it from a previous post. How many point out negative "insults" and turn it into a way to embrace a remedial attitiude about the southerners. This isn't my list btw. I see insults to family, education, and embracing offensive stereotypes of southerners in general. As southern folk I would think this would put you off a bit, but so many of you embrace it as an identity. That is the part I dont' understand.

If you want to perpetuate the southern stereotype of being fat, enhealthy, uneducated, and lusting after underaged family members, you don't need me to do that. You do it too yourselves. See below example.

31 THINGS THAT YOU'LL NEVER HEAR A SOUTHERN BOY SAY:

31. When I retire, I'm movin' north.

30. Oh, I just couldn't'! She's only sixteen.

29. I'll take Shakespeare for 1000, Alex.

28. Duct tape won't fix that.

27. Come to think of it, I'll have a Heineken.

26. We don't keep firearms in this house.

25. You can't feed that to the dog.

24. No kids in the back of the pickup, it's just not safe.

23. Wrestling is fake.

22. We're vegetarians.

21. Do you think my gut is too big?

20. I'll have grapefruit and grapes instead of biscuits and gravy.

19. Honey, we don't need another dog.

18. Who cares who won the Civil War?

17. Give me the small bag of pork rinds.

16. Too many deer heads detract from the decor.

15. I just couldn't find a thing at Wal-Mart today.

14. Trim the fat off that steak, please.

13. Cappuccino tastes better than espresso.

12. The tires on that truck are too big.

11. I've got it all on the C: DRIVE.

10. Unsweetened tea tastes better.

9. My fiancé, Bobbie Jo, is registered at Tiffany's.

8. I've got two cases of Zima for the Super Bowl.

7. Checkmate

6. She's too young to be wearing a bikini.

5. Hey, here's an episode of "Hee Haw" that we haven't seen.

4. I don't have a favorite college team.

3. You Guys.

2. Those shorts ought to be a little longer, Betty Mae.

AND THE NUMBER ONE THING THAT YOU WILL NEVER HEAR A SOUTHERN BOY SAY:

1. Nope, no more beer for me. I'm driving a whole bus load of us down to re-elect OBAMA!

Last edited:
If we are all the things you say then why live here? Why not move up north?

Those are all things southerners claim to be. I am just thankful to live in Atlanta, and enjoy the diversity the city has to offer. I am very happy here, and have no desire to move "up north". Anyway, I'm tired of extreme heat and extreme cold, so Atlanta suits me just fine.

As a "Yankee" this statement is so true. One of the reasons I moved here was because of hospitality of the majority of the people here. And I am also impressed with the school my son is in. When he started school here he was actually behind.

First a little background. My roots in the South go back as far as at least 1767 when on my mother's side GGGGGgrandpappy John McClure stepped off the boat from County Down, Ireland in Spartanburg, SC. I had another GGGgrandfather on my father's side that rode in Wheeler's Cav. during the War of Northern Aggression. So that my Southern roots cannot be disputed......

I think "Southern Hospitality" died somewhere around 1998 at least in the Metro ATL area. The immense growth that we have seen since the late 80's early 90's has changed Georgia, at least North Georgia into the equivalent of L.A. Lite. Where I grew up was a four way stop. Now it is one continuous strip mall from Newnan to Fayetteville.

I married an Ohio girl and I spend at least 2-3 months of the year up there. I find that the people in and around Cleveland, Ohio are much more friendlier then the folks in and around Atlanta. Complete strangers will strike up conversations with you in stores. I don't remember the last time that happened to me here. Most of them drive pretty decently around the city at a reasonable rate of speed unlike the Atlanta 500 AKA I-285. Now they may make fun of my accent occasionally but I've gotten really great at mimicking the midwestern Yankee accent (Da' Bearz) so I give it right back to them all in good fun. So to say that all Northerners are not friendly and that all Southerners are friendly is not the truth.

Now my experiences in NYC are not like that. The people there were not very friendly. I would imagine that would continue further Northward into New England as well. Jersey and Philly have reps for being mean as well. However, I think that the further you go inward to the Midwest, the nicer most people are. In many ways Midwesterners are pretty much the same as Southerners culturally and politically. Hell guys, unless you are in a major city, most of Ohio is one big huge cornfield.

Last edited:
What people tend to overlook is the fact that Atlanta is a transplant city. The southerners haven't lost their charm, its the fact that most likely these days, you're not meeting a native to Georgia.

I can count on both hands the number of people I know in my personal life who were actually born and raised here.

Looking at the list of 31 things......

The whole embrace "Redneck" culture thing has become cool because of Foxworthy et al.

I still look at the term "Redneck" as being an insult. But like another word that shall not be named here, it has become a word of endearment among those in both social group respectively.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom