• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning Brass

All Good Advice given above^

But don't feel that shiny brass is necessary for making a good reload. Whatever you do, never forget to properly inspect each and every case for signs of stress failure ... serious problems can be avoided if you do this!

I start my cleaning using a hot bath of weak citric acid solution .... often that's all I have to do (in the good-old-days, there were no viberator type cleaners available: We washed them in hot soapy water with a brush and air dried them overnight!)

I too would like to get into stainless steel pin type media using a rotary tumbler, but the "entrance fee" to this type of brass cleaning is STEEP!

All Good Advice given above^

But don't feel that shiny brass is necessary for making a good reload. Whatever you do, never forget to properly inspect each and every case for signs of stress failure ... serious problems can be avoided if you do this!

I start my cleaning using a hot bath of weak citric acid solution .... often that's all I have to do (in the good-old-days, there were no viberator type cleaners available: We washed them in hot soapy water with a brush and air dried them overnight!)

I too would like to get into stainless steel pin type media using a rotary tumbler, but the "entrance fee" to this type of brass cleaning is STEEP!

This looks more economical.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130815&st=0

I got some Midway brand polishing media years ago when I purchased my tumbler. It goes along way. Not sure exactly what it is but it looks alot like Brasso

Pet smart will sell bedding for lizzards. Look for walnut bedding fine ground. They also sell bedding corncob. Just find the fine ground. Fill the tumbler and add any car polish or Ne Finish or Flitz and let it run with out the top off for a hour or so to mix. Just a cap full in this case more is not better. After several loads I add a little Mineral Spirts and run without brass for a hour or so. This helps clean the Media. I also run a rag or two just to allow the dirt to stick to after i put the Mineral Spirts in. Walnut for Dirty brass, Corn cob will put a nice shine on the brass.

Let me echo and expand on what Clarke said; add 2 teaspoons of powdered citric acid (found at health food stores, canning supplies, or online) for each quart of near-boiling water in a plastic or glass container (NOT metal). Dump dirty brass in, stir around with a wooden or plastic spoon (NOT metal) for 5-10 minutes. Pour off acid solution into non-metallic storage container (can re-heat in microwave and re-use until green). Rinse cases in hot water, then lay out to dry for 24 hours. Cases will already be very clean and shiny inside and out, or take only 30-45 minutes of vibratory/rotary polishing to be brand-new shiny! Even works for most old range pick-up cases, and the citric acid retards future corrosion of the brass.

CAUTION! Do not put any steel in the used solution; your expensive die/mould/wife's kitchen spoon will quickly become copper-plated by the saturated solution!

This solution is less acidic than Coke or vinegar, and biodegradable, so can be readily disposed down the drain.

I don't add any thing to the brass as if vibrates. When the media gets really black, I have been known to add a little Lyman Turbo media rejuvenator (which I don't think they make any more), and the media is like new again.

I went a little overboard, I use a small cement mixer and wash mine in water and lemon juce. It cleans the pretty well and most of the time they do nt even need tumbling. If they need more shine then I use a good car polish mixed in my corn cobb media. That usually gets them nice and shinny.

Back
Top Bottom