• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning Brass

I went a little overboard, I use a small cement mixer and wash mine in water and lemon juce. It cleans the pretty well and most of the time they do nt even need tumbling. If they need more shine then I use a good car polish mixed in my corn cobb media. That usually gets them nice and shinny.

I was talking to a guy about this the other day. About $150 for a small cement mixer at Harbor Freight. It will hold a bunch more brass than one of the other tumblers. He said he and a buddy can drop in 10 lbs of stainless media and the soap and water mixture and do about 1000 rounds at a time in a couple of hours. I was looking at those mixers today. It makes sense and is very tempting. I don't really need that much capacity usually but it sure would be nice to have it.

Just corn cob media and some Flitz...but I don't use a lot of Flitz even. I just want the powder residue removed...not really worried about bling at the rate I shoot and reload my brass.

I can wash at least 3000 round of 9mm at one time with this thing. I have not tried tumbling the brass with media in it. I used it to wash all the dirt and powder residue off the brass. They come out clean enough to resize them without tumbling. I just tumble for a little extra bling.

Last edited:
I used fine walnut media from harbor freight and found that after 3 hours in the tumbler my brass still had a lot of dark areas on it but was very slick feeling.

I switched to course walnut media for 3 hours and the brass came out a lot cleaner although not perfect. I might try something else in the future but for now I think the course media will work.

I use a sonic cleaner first with a mixture of simple green. If it's rifle brass I decap the rounds first which gets the pockets either clean or very easy to clean. After the brass is dry I tumble with corn cob media and a little Dillon brass polish. The advantage of the sonic cleaner is that it gets most of the crud that usually ends up shortening the life of the tumbler media. I usually clean 5-10,000 pieces per session and this has been the best method I've found so far.

Back
Top Bottom