• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cold weather function checks/ lubricants

The culprit is most likely that your guns had residual petroleum based lubes/solvents on them. When FL mixes with petrol based it turns into a white-ish goo. I used FL for a little while because we had a few hundred sample packs kicking around the shop. Didn't take long to switch back to good ol' CLP or EWG, or whatever's open and handy.
Negative. I prepped mine per the instructions, stripping all prior lubrication with brake cleaner first. Also used a heat gun to warm the parts, wiped down and repeated. It didn't turn white, but more of a greenish lacquer. Like old grease cooked into a cast iron pan. I had someone that thought I had used too much. Screw that noise. Between the tedious application requirements and the possibility of over application, "aint nobody got time for dat!"

I've been using Fireclean with very good results. The non-toxic aspect appeals to me, it doesn't run off or evaporate as fast as petroleum based lubes and it really does make most of the carbon fouling just wipe right off. As far as petroleum based products go, weaponshield is fantastic. Traditional products like hoppes, clp, rem oil, etc are way too thin for an AR and burn off very quickly. Slip2000 was decent, but very thin and either evaporated in storage or ran off. For me, a good lube should not require constant reapplication and should stay mostly where you put it. With Fireclean, I can shoot the gun, put it up for a week or two and next time I pick it up, the BCG is still shiny and wet with lube. Other options always seemed to just disappear or wick away too easily.

Be careful with unknown solvents. I've seen AR stocks and hand grips messed up with either carb or brake cleaner. Try a bit on a cotton swab in a hidden spot before blasting away. I seem to remember a recent thread where a chemical engineer spoke on the topic of motor oils as gun lubes. I wish I could remember what he said.

brake cleaner will remove the finish on some guns so be careful. rem oil being thin is why i like it. 3 in 1 household oil works good too.

Both you guys are right. Brake cleaner is some strong stuff, but I have used it on a variety of guns with great results.

The only problem I ever had with it was on my Pardner Pump, which is a Chinese made copy of a Remington 870. The brake cleaner melted the plastic follower in the magazine tube. Luckily, the gun uses 870 parts, which are very easy to come by. I just got a metal replacement follower and problem solved.

Monte, I typically just run my carry Glock very very clean and no lube in winter.

Oh and I use the synthetic oil in warmer times. It stays in the gun, after plenty of shooting and carrying when you strip it down to clean it you will still see a light film on the guide rails and some still in the slide frame rail channels. Just don't put much to begin with, other wise it will run out and leak into your pants.

Negative. I prepped mine per the instructions, stripping all prior lubrication with brake cleaner first. Also used a heat gun to warm the parts, wiped down and repeated. It didn't turn white, but more of a greenish lacquer. Like old grease cooked into a cast iron pan. I had someone that thought I had used too much. Screw that noise. Between the tedious application requirements and the possibility of over application, "aint nobody got time for dat!"

I've been using Fireclean with very good results. The non-toxic aspect appeals to me, it doesn't run off or evaporate as fast as petroleum based lubes and it really does make most of the carbon fouling just wipe right off. As far as petroleum based products go, weaponshield is fantastic. Traditional products like hoppes, clp, rem oil, etc are way too thin for an AR and burn off very quickly. Slip2000 was decent, but very thin and either evaporated in storage or ran off. For me, a good lube should not require constant reapplication and should stay mostly where you put it. With Fireclean, I can shoot the gun, put it up for a week or two and next time I pick it up, the BCG is still shiny and wet with lube. Other options always seemed to just disappear or wick away too easily.

It tried the frog lube as well, thought I was in love last summer. Made a trip to MI over Thanksgiving (2013) and went out back to shoot with my Dad and GF in 15 degree temps, all my guns turned into single shots. All had only a very light coat of frog lube on them. Went back to Rem-oil

Monte, I typically just run my carry Glock very very clean and no lube in winter.

Oh and I use the synthetic oil in warmer times. It stays in the gun, after plenty of shooting and carrying when you strip it down to clean it you will still see a light film on the guide rails and some still in the slide frame rail channels. Just don't put much to begin with, other wise it will run out and leak into your pants.

even a glock needs 'some' lube. just a light oil in places they suggest. if you use a light oil sparingly you shouldn't have any issues.

Heck, it gummed up into a tacky mess on three of my ARs during the summer!
see when I FL my rifles, Ive always put on a somewhat heavy coat and let the parts sit for a few. After 10-15 min, I wipe away majority of the excess and reassemble the rifle. Never had any issues in the summer but, Im curious to see what happens here when its starts getting pretty cold. Then again, its on my AK so its not like anything could really happen, its not like its an AR:evil:

Back
Top Bottom