• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coyote in your yard in a subdivision ?

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
So hypothetical question. What are the legalities of shooting a coyote in your yard or a neighbors yard in a subdivision in a residential neighborhood?

What if the coyote is about to attack a domestic pet? Obviously if a coyote is attacking my dog, I’m gonna drop that coyote with whatever weapon I have closest and will deal with the legal consequences later, just wondering what the consequences would be and if the coyote’s actions matter at all. Can I just blast him for walking through my yard? Or does the coyote have to pose a credible threat?

Fair game in Bibb Co. It's a pest or a predator. It's got to go. Can't have it threatening my little girl.
20211031_110508.jpg

My neighbor reported seeing one ONCE. We back up to some hunt club land in Jones County so it's no surprise really.

I keep an eye out for packs of stray dogs and coyotes.

So hypothetical question. What are the legalities of shooting a coyote in your yard or a neighbors yard in a subdivision in a residential neighborhood?

What if the coyote is about to attack a domestic pet? Obviously if a coyote is attacking my dog, I’m gonna drop that coyote with whatever weapon I have closest and will deal with the legal consequences later, just wondering what the consequences would be and if the coyote’s actions matter at all. Can I just blast him for walking through my yard? Or does the coyote have to pose a credible threat?

Coyotes are Pest/Predators so there is no season on them. They are legally harvested year round.

Your location will depend on your legality- noise ordnances, dispatching a firearm inside city limits, etc.

The fuzz should be understanding of you dispatching a coyote on your property but YMMV.

Just make sure it’s not someone’s Fido.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If shooting a gun in your yard is prohibited by a county or city ordnance, or the state law about being closer than 50 yds from a public road,

then I think you can't shoot it UNLESS it's attacking or clearly menacing / preparing to attack you or your pets or livestock.

There's no exception to most "no discharge of firearms" laws for shooting nuisance animals or an invasive species.

But if it's a life or death situation, or serious property damage is imminent, then GA law has a broadly worded catch-all defense & justification that I think would apply.

Suppressed 22. What people don't know won't hurt them.
4AC431D7-09C2-4D5F-BAA1-148B97DDA39A.jpeg

Even legal coyote elimination might be best done discreetly, if you're in a subdivision full of Karens and gun-hating Democrat housewives who will call the cops and allege animal cruelty.

Back
Top Bottom