Crybabies eat your hearts out

I will bet you lunch at a place of your choosing. :thumb:I will admit that is a impressive group. We should just get together for a competition just for fun.

Oh, I was thinking we would shoot them from a rest so the shooter plays no part in the group. 3 ten shot groups. Keep the tightest two and throw out the third. Shoot the same ammo from the same lot. Smallest spread wins the others rifle. ;)

Glad it's accurate cause it sure is UGLY! LoL

I kid, I kid....

not really

Oh, I agree. When I first saw the pictures I thought, "Get the **** outta here with that garbage" until I looked a little closer an realized what it was. In truth, I am tempted to sell of the lower to a preban state, sell the A2 upper as used, and slap that barrel into a PSA flat top upper and lower. Don't know if I can bring myself to break up such an amazing and now rare factory gun though.

It was ulgy when new, but keep in mind, this thing was built before flat top uppers were even an option. This gun was probably built in 1988 or so.

I say KEEP IT LIKE IT IS.....

Kinda like the drag races.....beware of the guy in the ugliest car.....The ratty primered POS is normally the one that has all the $$$ in the drivetrain and chassis!

Oh, I agree. When I first saw the pictures I thought, "Get the **** outta here with that garbage" until I looked a little closer an realized what it was. In truth, I am tempted to sell of the lower to a preban state, sell the A2 upper as used, and slap that barrel into a PSA flat top upper and lower. Don't know if I can bring myself to break up such an amazing and now rare factory gun though.

It was ulgy when new, but keep in mind, this thing was built before flat top uppers were even an option. This gun was probably built in 1988 or so.

Sounds like you are as happy as a puppy with two peters and, you should be.

Let's be honest here. This isn't exactly a rife that most here would fall all over themselves for, I realize that. The thing is, I own the super high speed high dollar tactical crap. I have owned more ARs than many here have owned guns. It's these rare pieces of history that get me excited now.

Check out this old 6420 I picked up several years ago from B. Byrd on GON long before there was an ODT, and before he was B. Byrd.
[Broken External Image]:

Just a run of the mill A2 AR15 and nothing special by most standards, heck it is a large pin flatside (yuck). But the fact of the matter is, it is one of the last 6420s to leave the line before they killed the 6420 and replaced it with the 6520. All but a couple hundred of the 6420s shipped with A1 uppers even though the gun says AR15A2 on the side of it. The last couple hundred got the 6520s A2 upper as they had run out of A1 uppers and back then gun manufactures were known for just throwing random parts on to get stuff gun. In essence I have one of less than 200 AR15A2s ever made with a factory A2 upper. That kind of thing just can't be matched by anything rolling off the assembly lines today.

Oh, I was thinking we would shoot them from a rest so the shooter plays no part in the group. 3 ten shot groups. Keep the tightest two and throw out the third. Shoot the same ammo from the same lot. Smallest spread wins the others rifle. ;)

You got me there. I am not willing to put a Colt 6920 up against a 500.00 Olympic with the risk of your gun having the better barrel. But, I would still like to see the Olympic in action and if it holds up to the hype.

You got me there. I am not willing to put a Colt 6920 up against a 500.00 Olympic with the risk of your gun having the better barrel. But, I would still like to see the Olympic in action and if it holds up to the hype.

Trust me bro. I'm no fan of Oly myself. Besides the SUM Olys, I have never had interest in owning anything they built. These guns were built to a different standard and sold for much more than your standard AR back in the day. Unlike the other SGW lowers that were cast, Oly used a forged milspec lower on the stainless ultra match guns. The barrel is broach cut 4 land rifling with a 1/10 twist. While the gun is rated to 5.56, it really has a tighter chamber than most 5.56 and in reality is probably closer to what is now known as 223 wylde. Oly was ahead of their time with this one, and had flat tops been available at the time, I believe it would have really taken off rather than waiting 20 years before people realized what they were. They were built with the intention of being marketed to precision shooters and police snipers. Not many ARs built during that time period had 24" free floated heavy barrels with target crowns.

Back
Top Bottom