Crybabies eat your hearts out

Trust me bro. I'm no fan of Oly myself. Besides the SUM Olys, I have never had interest in owning anything they built. These guns were built to a different standard and sold for much more than your standard AR back in the day. Unlike the other SGW lowers that were cast, Oly used a forged milspec lower on the stainless ultra match guns. The barrel is broach cut 4 land rifling with a 1/10 twist. While the gun is rated to 5.56, it really has a tighter chamber than most 5.56 and in reality is probably closer to what is now known as 223 wylde. Oly was ahead of their time with this one, and had flat tops been available at the time, I believe it would have really taken off rather than waiting 20 years before people realized what they were. They were built with the intention of being marketed to precision shooters and police snipers. Not many ARs built during that time period had 24" free floated heavy barrels with target crowns.

Interesting. I really want to see this thing in action.

- - - Updated - - -

I like iron sighted guns but that 24 inch barrel is just too long for my liking. Chop it back to 20 and put a flash hider on it and Id like it more.

:doh:

Trust me bro. I'm no fan of Oly myself. Besides the SUM Olys, I have never had interest in owning anything they built. These guns were built to a different standard and sold for much more than your standard AR back in the day. Unlike the other SGW lowers that were cast, Oly used a forged milspec lower on the stainless ultra match guns. The barrel is broach cut 4 land rifling with a 1/10 twist. While the gun is rated to 5.56, it really has a tighter chamber than most 5.56 and in reality is probably closer to what is now known as 223 wylde. Oly was ahead of their time with this one, and had flat tops been available at the time, I believe it would have really taken off rather than waiting 20 years before people realized what they were. They were built with the intention of being marketed to precision shooters and police snipers. Not many ARs built during that time period had 24" free floated heavy barrels with target crowns.

How well does it shoot surplus? Or does it like lighter varmint stuff??

I like iron sighted guns but that 24 inch barrel is just too long for my liking. Chop it back to 20 and put a flash hider on it and Id like it more.

yeah, nevermind the fact that would kill all accuracy as well as rarity of the only gun Olympic ever built that was worth owning. Let's **** it up and make it look like everything else available on the market today because if it isn't tactical it isn't tacticool.. :rolleyes:

How well does it shoot surplus? Or does it like lighter varmint stuff??

1/10 will handle up to 62gr no problem. Why though would you want to take an 8lb gun that can shoot ten shot groups the size of a 50 cent piece and run cheap **** surplus through it? Perhaps if this was my only AR I could see that concern.

1/10 will handle up to 62gr no problem. Why though would you want to take an 8lb gun that can shoot ten shot groups the size of a 50 cent piece and run cheap **** surplus through it? Perhaps if this was my only AR I could see that concern.

Isnt 62 grain surplus as well?

It may be a rarity but its just not my flavor I guess.

Its not my taste thats all.

Isnt 62 grain surplus as well?

It may be a rarity but its just not my flavor I guess.

Its not my taste thats all.

Yes, surplus is common in both 55gr and 62gr. Surplus however is not loaded with precision in mind. I love watching guys group a gun with M855 and ***** because it's holding 6" at 100 when it's supposed to be a MOA gun. It will shoot surplus just as crappy as everything else out there will. Where it really shines is when you load it with custom hand loaded ammunition loaded for this gun. This gun will probably never see factory loaded ammo so long as I own it.

Perhaps these are a bit more to your taste.
[Broken External Image]:
Also mine.

Or this one.
[video=youtube_share;fsuSDfRg8_0]http://youtu.be/fsuSDfRg8_0[/video]

Also mine.

The reason I was asking about how well it shot surplus is because if your comment about the challenge you suggested that both rifles shoot the same ammo. And since 55 grain stuff is common to purchase.

It doesnt seem right that if you were going to do the challenge rifle against rifle that you would have handloads for this rifle and just some junk in the other. And it wouldnt be right to shoot handloads made for this rifle in the other rifle.

Im not saying that this cant be an accurate rifle with work up of a load. Accuracy depends on a lot of things.

The reason I was asking about how well it shot surplus is because if your comment about the challenge you suggested that both rifles shoot the same ammo. And since 55 grain stuff is common to purchase.

It doesnt seem right that if you were going to do the challenge rifle against rifle that you would have handloads for this rifle and just some junk in the other. And it wouldnt be right to shoot handloads made for this rifle in the other rifle.

Im not saying that this cant be an accurate rifle with work up of a load. Accuracy depends on a lot of things.

For the challenge we would have used factory ammo of the same spec. I offered it in jest though because to be quite honest, I like Bypass too much to take his 6920 with this ugly old goat.

It is not an assumption on my part. The stainless ultra match barrels are thought by many to be the most accurate barrels every produced for an AR15. They still produce the barrels to this day. You can buy one for about 100 bucks more than what a Colt barrel sells for. ;)

Back
Top Bottom