• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

danger of rechambering same round

View attachment 1104482
Just found these in my range ammo. These are some I've rotated out of my carry mags. When I first glanced at them I was a little freaked out looking at how much farther the two on the right are seated compared to the others. Then I remembered that at one point I mistakenly bought a box of critical defense instead of critical duty. I guess that's the difference in the two?
I can see the cannelure on all 5 of your rounds. I would be a little concerned if I couldn't see the cannelure on them. I'm wondering if that may be a good way to verify that setback hasn't occured.

I can see the cannelure on all 5 of your rounds. I would be a little concerned if I couldn't see the cannelure on them. I'm wondering if that may be a good way to verify that setback hasn't occured.
Could be. When I first glanced at them though it looked like the two on the right seated a lot deeper. I'm sure all five are still perfectly fine to fire. They will be fired on my next range visit.

Just get a revolver, problem solved jk, but I've noticed that Hornady critical duty and defense seem to be more resistant to setback, even on their website it mentions their design to prevent setback as one of their features

Just get a revolver, problem solved jk, but I've noticed that Hornady critical duty and defense seem to be more resistant to setback, even on their website it mentions their design to prevent setback as one of their features
I have no idea how many times the ones in my pic have been chambered. It's definitely more than two or three.

I have no idea how many times the ones in my pic have been chambered. It's definitely more than two or three.
Using the eye test it seems like they haven't been seated much if at all, compare it with new unchambered ammo will help, I had a hydrashock 230 gr 45 round setback ridiculously after 2 chamberings, and a 45 critical duty not show any setback after 2 chamberings, wish i had a pic, but that's why I choose hornady but that's just me

Using the eye test it seems like they haven't been seated much if at all, compare it with new unchambered ammo will help, I had a hydrashock 230 gr 45 round setback ridiculously after 2 chamberings, and a 45 critical duty not show any setback after 2 chamberings, wish i had a pic, but that's why I choose hornady but that's just me
I had the same thing happen with hydra shok in a 1911. Chambered twice and set back a ridiculous amount. I think that it could have some to do with the type of handgun as well as then ammo though.

They're not seated to different depths, the Critical duty 135gr is a longer bullet.

The Critical Duty also has an H on the tip, and red seal on the primer. http://www.hornady.com/support/critical-duty-and-critical-defense

that's what I was going to ask, I am not familiar with Critical duty other than what it is and ballistics.
I was going to ask if it was a Hollow point VS a non hollow point( yes the critical defense) is a hollow point its just clogged up with a polymer insert.
the critical duty I have no idea ?
as mentioned the heavier projectile if made of the same material will be longer. as 380 cases are kind of low capacity case you can't load them much deeper.

Back
Top Bottom