• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

danger of rechambering same round

I thought it was 45 but it was really 35.
Maximum deviation of .005 across the 35.
The five in the lower left have been chambered and ejected quite a few times over the past year. The round on the right laying down was chambered and ejected 10x back to back through the VP9 and measurement taken.
Then 10 more times in the Shield9 and measured.
Maybe if I sat here and did it more it would change, but I really believe it might be more of the gun than anything. Gonna play around with some FMJ and see what I get to see if that changes anything.
View attachment 1099061
Hooray! For science!

Maybe the problem can be avoided by cycling the action by hand to chamber the top round, instead of releasing the slide to chamber it?

JMO, I reload quite a bit. I also pickup tons of brass and ejected live rounds at the range. I take those live rounds and pull them with an inertia puller or collet puller. I have run across rounds that were practically glued in place. These were factory rounds not reloads. The reloads can easily be pulled. I just wonder if maybe, just maybe this could possibly happen if a factory round got too much sealant on it during assembly and when fired the bullet was stuck and built up too much pressure then exploded.
This sounds a little more plausible as when you move a bullet deeper in the case it will break the seal allowing it to move more easily. The re-chambering issue would build more pressure but in my opinion would be more likely to split or rupture the case than explode and destroy the firearm.

Well....this has shed light to my edc. I didn't think about the bullet seating farther and/or building unsafe pressure.

I chamber and unchamber my G19 every time I leave the house...I have small children and I don't carry inside my house and I don't like leaving a chambered weapon unattended outside of my safe...

So needless to say...I have chambered this same round countless times in the last 6 months....when I started carrying a G19 again.

I noticed the bullet had tarnished from me touching it several times a day....but I never noticed the placement of the bullet was deeper.

dac58ab467a5fa08ee7f4891f04eed86.jpg

I don't know what my plan will be from here on out....I can't put the round out of service every time I enter the house and unchamber...I cannot afford that much ammo. Lol

I don't want to leave it chambered all the time either....even out of sight hidden. I don't keep my HD shotguns chambered either. I just don't want to be the next 'child finds gun and accidentally shoots self/sibling.' (Yes I speak to my kids about safety constantly...they know about my guns and know never to touch the trigger unless we are aiming at a target....etc)

What are my options?
Carry all the time. Remember it has been scientifically proven that 100% of home invasions happen inside the home.

This is probably what I need to go with...these are pretty easy to open quickly I believe. Just gotta find a spot to mount it out of sight but convenient for me to grab and go when I leave...

Sheesh....this problem doesn't exist with revolvers.....:tsk:
It comes with a cable lock. Wrap cable around bed frame and hide under the bed skirting.
Finger grooves allow you to punch the code in without puling the safe out.

Never thought about this OP, thanks for the info.

Guess my P7's gonna stay loaded 24/7...will just rotate mags once a week or so.

On my carry .45's ....hmmm. Which one's gonna get me first. Rechambering the same round or mag springs wearing out? Lots to think about.

Where's my Chief's Special....

Back
Top Bottom