• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Depression era sandwich

Can't tell you how many times I've gone to the kitchen pulled out a slice of bread went to the table and took two pads of butter, put it on the slice of bread and folded it for a snack
I did that very thing just yesterday...I had just made the loaf and it was hot....nothing beats hot bread and cold butter!!!

Dad and his brother liked Limburger cheese, sweet onion sammiches on rye bread.
Washed down with a cold beer.
Switching gears, and speaking of Limburger,
there used to be a guy that’d hit the local watering hole every day after work.
Regular as clockwork. He’d come in, order a draught and sip on it.
He’d also go take a dump… every day like clockwork.
He wore an old ball cap which he’d take off and set on the bar so no one would think he’d left.
So, one afternoon, he sets his hat down and heads for the head.
Bartender grabs a package of limburger purchased for the prank, and rubs a little inside the hat bill.
Guy comes back, puts on the hat. Sips his beer. Sniffs his fingers. Takes off hat, back to bathroom to wash hands.
Comes back, same scenario. Did it 3-4 times before packing up and heading home.
He must have figured it out when he got home, we never saw him in the bar again.

Switching gears, and speaking of Limburger,
there used to be a guy that’d hit the local watering hole every day after work.
Regular as clockwork. He’d come in, order a draught and sip on it.
He’d also go take a dump… every day like clockwork.
He wore an old ball cap which he’d take off and set on the bar so no one would think he’d left.
So, one afternoon, he sets his hat down and heads for the head.
Bartender grabs a package of limburger purchased for the prank, and rubs a little inside the hat bill.
Guy comes back, puts on the hat. Sips his beer. Sniffs his fingers. Takes off hat, back to bathroom to wash hands.
Comes back, same scenario. Did it 3-4 times before packing up and heading home.
He must have figured it out when he got home, we never saw him in the bar again.
so...you went to the bar every day??

I remeber about 50 yrs ago , daddy had fallen off a ladder at work and was drawing $88 dollars a week Workmans comp.
he would buy a tube of bologna and a tube of peppered salami every other week.
I do not eat bologna nor salami today!!

When we’d go to my grandparents house and have dinner, afterwards, my grandfather would always get 2 slices of bread and pour gravy over them and eat them. He said growing up in the depression, that was dinner.

Back
Top Bottom