• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did the gun shop accidentally sell me an SBR?

rogermc

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
28   0
Reaction score
Today I picked up a Cobray CM-11 for a project. I've always wanted a Mac 11 but I'm not to familiar with them. So I got home and began searching for a magazine for it and how to take the faux suppressor, shroud thing off. Turns out that the ugly shroud is the barrel, a 17" barrel to be exact and the Cobray Mac 11 style guns stamped "CM-11" are actually Carbine versions.

The only problem is the gun itself is only 23" long total. This gun does not have a rear stock of any sort which i'm assuming it shipped with initially. So my concern is this. As far as I know a rifle has to be 26" long and judging by the long barrel and "c" stamp in front of M-11 im assuming this came out of the factory as a rifle. On the receipt from the shop the rang it up as a pistol and sold it to me in the 23" configuration with no stock. Can I run into any issues with this gun?

52BED88C-8947-4386-A6DF-7E80F1D958DC.jpeg

On the receipt is was rang up as a pistol, would it show up as a rifle or pistol in databases?
I've no idea, but I do know that you can legally modify a pistol into a rifle so long as you make it meet the legal definition of a rifle (16"+ barrel, 26" OAL). You just can't legally modify a rifle backwards into a pistol. Once a firearm has had a stock on it then it can no longer legally be considered a pistol.

Now, and this is related, last I heard it's the official position of the ATF that an AR "pistol" can have an upper with a 16" or greater barrel put onto it and then be reverted back to a sub-16" barrel upper without ever having made a SBR. If your gun has never had a stock put onto it then it might legally be considered a pistol despite having the longer than 16" barrel.

If it has had a stock on it in the past then I'm not sure whether or not your firearm is illegal. It's under 26" OAL but has had a stock on it in the past, so my guess as a pretend-lawyer-on-the-internet is that it wouldn't be considered legal. Mind you that you're well beyond the point of "Well the law says..." and into the point of how the ATF feels like interpreting what is actually written in the law. My simple solution is just buy a stock and put one on.

Back
Top Bottom