• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did the gun shop accidentally sell me an SBR?

Best thing to do is take it back to the gun shop and politely tell them your concern. See if they give you a satisfactory explanation that it is in fact a pistol, or if they’ll take it back, or supply you with an appropriate stock.

Also, I just got to thinking about this:
https://heritagemfg.com/small-bore/16-rough-rider

Which can't possibly be 26" oal, and is still a pistol. So, maybe no big deal?

ETA: Although I guess the model is the carbine version. So, take it back to the store and they need to either refund or give you a stock, and correct the records to show that you don't have a pistol, that was once a carbine.

You are correct. The PM is the "pistol mac" version and CM is the "carbine mac" version, which originally came with an 16" barrel and stock. The shop certainly sold you an sbr. BUT you could just add a stock and be good.

img.jpg

You should be ok. It's no different than buying an AK without a stock. The definition of SBR that pertains to your setup is in the name, short barreled. The barrel is over 16 inches. It's not short barreled. Nor does it have a stock to be shouldered, so no rifle. In its current configuration it's just a rifle without a stock. I think you are thinking the 26 inch rule for AOW for a vertical grip.

You should be ok. It's no different than buying an AK without a stock. The definition of SBR that pertains to your setup is in the name, short barreled. The barrel is over 16 inches. It's not short barreled. Nor does it have a stock to be shouldered, so no rifle. In its current configuration it's just a rifle without a stock. I think you are thinking the 26 inch rule for AOW for a vertical grip.

How how long is an AK-47 without the shoulder stock?
That receiver is pretty long, and combined with the barrel may get you over 26 inches overall.

But 22 rimfires and pistol caliber guns have shorter receivers.
A 16 inch barrel plus a short receiver may end somewhere around 23 or 24 inches, and that is a short-barreled rifle.
If it "used to have a stock" and it doesn't now, it had better have both a long enough barrel and a long enough overall length!

How how long is an AK-47 without the shoulder stock?
That receiver is pretty long, and combined with the barrel may get you over 26 inches overall.

But 22 rimfires and pistol caliber guns have shorter receivers.
A 16 inch barrel plus a short receiver may end somewhere around 23 or 24 inches, and that is a short-barreled rifle.
If it "used to have a stock" and it doesn't now, it had better have both a long enough barrel and a long enough overall length!

That interesting. One could accidentally build a short barreled rifle by not having a short barrel on their rifle.

Back
Top Bottom