• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did the gun shop accidentally sell me an SBR?

Wrong, MkD hotrod.
If you remove the stock from a rifle so that the rest of the weapon can still be fired but it has an overall length of less than 26 inches, you have redesigned, reconfigured, and legally "manufactured" an SBR.

Wrong, MkD hotrod.
If you remove the stock from a rifle so that the rest of the weapon can still be fired but it has an overall length of less than 26 inches, you have redesigned, reconfigured, and legally "manufactured" an SBR.

They sold it to him as a pistol, if it’s registered then as a pistol it’s perfectly fine.

If it’s registered as a pistol and then he put a stock on it, then he created a sbr. Which is illegal.

If it’s registered as a rifle, then it needs a stock

It is all a game of words, much like brace vs stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your pharmacist is supposed to give you an allergy medication,
but instead he fills the bottle with a schedule 2 narcotic,
and later you find this out and you say to the world on the Internet,
"hey the pharmacy just put schedule 2 narcotics in my bottle not my schedule 4 allergy medication!"
Then at that point you realize the mistake and keep the higher class of drugs that were not lawfully prescribed to you, you have committed a crime.
It began from the mistake of the pharmacist, sure, but you have committed your own crime by taking advantage of that mistake.

They sold it to him as a pistol, if it’s registered then as a pistol it’s perfectly fine.

If it’s registered as a pistol and then he put a stock on it, then he created a sbr. Which is illegal.

If it’s registered as a rifle, then it needs a stock

It is all a game of words, much like brace vs stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is no gun registration in Georgia. If the barrel is over 16 and he put a stock on it he did not make an SBR out of it as long as the overall length is longer than 26 inches. It is perfectly legal to make a rifle from a pistol. If it started as pistol you can convert it to a rifle and back to pistol as often as you wish. You just cannot make a pistol from a rifle.
There is no federal legal maximum to barrel length for a pistol. You can have a pistol with a barrel that is 20 inches long if you want to. There is a maximum under GA State law of 12 inches but that is only for the purposes of concealed carry as I understand it and for any sort of handgun only hunting restrictions.
A 4473 is not any kind of registration. If the dealer put the wrong nomenclature on the 4473 then he just made a mistake. His mistake does not mean that a rifle is now legally a pistol. A 4473 is just a dealers record of how he disposed of a firearm. If it is ever traced to the dealer the 4473 is just to show what he did with it.
I see plenty of CM11 semi auto pistols listed for sale without a stock or the attaching hardware and full length barrel. Whether they came from Cobray in that form or not I do not know. I never kept up with them back when they were popular because I didn't think they were worth the trouble.

There is no gun registration in Georgia. If the barrel is over 16 and he put a stock on it he did not make an SBR out of it as long as the overall length is longer than 26 inches. It is perfectly legal to make a rifle from a pistol. If it started as pistol you can convert it to a rifle and back to pistol as often as you wish. You just cannot make a pistol from a rifle.
There is no federal legal maximum to barrel length for a pistol. You can have a pistol with a barrel that is 20 inches long if you want to. There is a maximum under GA State law of 12 inches but that is only for the purposes of concealed carry as I understand it and for any sort of handgun only hunting restrictions.
A 4473 is not any kind of registration. If the dealer put the wrong nomenclature on the 4473 then he just made a mistake. His mistake does not mean that a rifle is now legally a pistol. A 4473 is just a dealers record of how he disposed of a firearm. If it is ever traced to the dealer the 4473 is just to show what he did with it.
I see plenty of CM11 semi auto pistols listed for sale without a stock or the attaching hardware and full length barrel. Whether they came from Cobray in that form or not I do not know. I never kept up with them back when they were popular because I didn't think they were worth the trouble.

The gun started life as a rifle. I think this is what concerns OP.

The gun started life as a rifle. I think this is what concerns OP.
I understand the concern but do we know for a fact it started out as a rifle? Like I said, I see plenty of CM11s for sale with no stock and they are listed as pistols. I don't know one way or the other what a company like Cobray/Leinid may have tried to market.

I understand the concern but do we know for a fact it started out as a rifle? Like I said, I see plenty of CM11s for sale with no stock and they are listed as pistols. I don't know one way or the other what a company like Cobray/Leinid may have tried to market.

The info out on the CM-11/nine is ALL were rifles, none were manufactured as pistols. But many have "lost" their stock along the way and are being passed as pistoks as they can sell for more money.

See: https://www.mac-11.info/catalog.htm

The info out on the CM-11/nine is ALL were rifles, none were manufactured as pistols. But many have "lost" their stock along the way and are being passed as pistoks as they can sell for more money.

See: https://www.mac-11.info/catalog.htm
Got it. I would say the solution would be to either fabricate a stock for it or take it back and demand a refund.

Back
Top Bottom