• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diesel truck recommendation

Merctrain

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
35   0
Reaction score
It's almost time to replace my current vehicle. I'm thinking about going the diesel truck route. I do a ton of highway driving plus it would come in handy pulling my camper.

Ford? Chevy? Dodge? I have zero expertise when it comes to Diesel engines.

Totally not worth the extra $$ unless you tow something heavy all the time

The Chevys with the LS engine have plenty of power and usually get in the mid teens mpg and are always $10k off sticker price

Diesels cost an extra $8k and hardly ever can be bought for much less than sticker

But if you gotta get one the cummins is the only one to get
Google "ford 6.0" if you want to see what happens when you buy an engine that hasn't been out several years and proven itself as a good design
And most automatic transmissions behind diesels fail early and fail often

i do a ton of driving for work. My thoughts are that a Diesel engine would allow me more miles for the money. I'm not going to be hauling anything over 8,000 lbs. bad idea?

Yea people will tell you just get a gas truck they make plenty of power have never pulled anything very far.
I can set the cruise and never feel a downshift
Pulling a 7k trailer from Atlanta to Dallas TX
I can't go back to gas.

Ram 1500 ecodiesel since your not going for hd and do lots of highway. It is the highest mpg truck to meet your towing needs. Also the diesel option is only 4k, or 2k over the hemi. May not help you if your looking for used as they did come to the market till 2014.

Back
Top Bottom