• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diesel truck recommendation

I own all three for work and home. I have personally preferred the cummings diesel for my personal truck, I'm towing occasionally with it (once a week). Work trucks are fords or chevy diesel trucks. Ford and Chevy had issues early on with their turbo diesels, but currently no issues for either in the last few years. We tow heavy loads and put a lot of miles on them. Occasionally you get a vehicle from any manufacturer that was assembled by a hung over employee and it's never right. These are the vehicles that cause people to become so opinionated about what brand is best. Any one of these will serve you well. I would not be in s 3/4 ton diesel burner if I didn't need it.

It's almost time to replace my current vehicle. I'm thinking about going the diesel truck route. I do a ton of highway driving plus it would come in handy pulling my camper.

Ford? Chevy? Dodge? I have zero expertise when it comes to Diesel engines.
Nissan is coming out with a heavy duty half ton truck this year with a 5 liter Cummins Diesel with 555 ft. Lbs. of torque. If you don't want to go to 3/4 tons this may be a good option. I have not seen any pricing yet.

Occasional pulling really doesn't justify the cost of the $9000 option for a Duramax (On Chevy's). The 1500 Silverado tows up to 10900 lbs with a 3.73 rear end. THOSE trucks are about $7250-8250 off sticker right now. (Yeah I sell Chevrolets). Matter of fact just bought a 4x4 Z-71. Sticker was $48K and got it for less than $40. Dodge has the highest rebates right now I believe, but you can always track sales versus rebates. More rebates, the less they sell. Ford is the number one selling light duty truck but that is only because GM is stupid and make Chevrolet and GMC. Combine both numbers and it crushes Ford. Just my $0.02 but if you have any questions PM me.

What Chevy motor/truck can u buy with confidence to get 300,000 miles out of. My thoughts on diesel were much longer engine life. My company flips the bill for gas......not to worried about gas costs.

The best part of diesel is the long life. I tow a lot, and by the time you get to 200,000 miles. Your suburban, dually, etc is shot if it's gas. I currently have a 2006 Ford E350 van with the 6.9L diesel. 245,000 miles and I've rebuilt the injectors, and replaced the FICM module. It's still as strong as the day I got it. Another plus it gets double the fuel milage pulling a trailer vs the gas version. I'm pulling a 40 ft boat trailer - gas mileage was 6-7 mpg, diesel mileage is 12-15.

What Chevy motor/truck can u buy with confidence to get 300,000 miles out of. My thoughts on diesel were much longer engine life. My company flips the bill for gas......not to worried about gas costs.
Well if you dont care about fuel, do you have a truck budget? All the 3/4 tons are gonna provide you with more than you need powerwise, and ram is the only 1500 sized truck currently for sale. The titan xd will have the Cummings 5.0 whenever it goes on sale.

The dodges are supposed to have the best ride due to the coil rear suspension. That gives them a lower payload capacity then the ford or chevy. Since you dont seem to need massive capacity, comfort would be my first priority.

Last year i went to a dealer gather with all the brands. Im a ford guy, but the interior did not impress me on the super duty. I thought the dodges had a nice set of options that really felt nicer. Howeber if money was no option, I would get the gmc 2500 denali. What a nice truck inside and out.

I ended up with the ram ecodiesel though. Unlike you i pay for my fuel so it counted on my purchases decision more than the rest of the truck. If gmc made a 1500 denalli with a 3-4 liter diesel getting 27 mpg, i would of gotten that instead.

Also none of the new diesel are going to give you 300k miles anymore without major repairs or modifications. Dpfs for example have a service life roughly of 100k that will have to be replaced eventually or deleted. The new emissions equipment is killing diesels as well as reducing mpg they are capable of.

Last edited:
Well if you dont care about fuel, do you have a truck budget? All the 3/4 tons are gonna provide you with more than you need powerwise, and ram is the only 1500 sized truck currently for sale. The titan xd will have the Cummings 5.0 whenever it goes on sale.

The dodges are supposed to have the best ride due to the coil rear suspension. That gives them a lower payload capacity then the ford or chevy. Since you dont seem to need massive capacity, comfort would be my first priority.

Last year i went to a dealer gather with all the brands. Im a ford guy, but the interior did not impress me on the super duty. I thought the dodges had a nice set of options that really felt nicer. Howeber if money was no option, I would get the gmc 2500 denali. What a nice truck inside and out.

I ended up with the ram ecodiesel though. Unlike you i pay for my fuel so it counted on my purchases decision more than the rest of the truck. If gmc made a 1500 denalli with a 3-4 liter diesel getting 27 mpg, i would of gotten that instead.

Also none of the new diesel are going to give you 300k miles anymore without major repairs or modifications. Dpfs for example have a service life roughly of 100k that will have to be replaced eventually or deleted. The new emissions equipment is killing diesels as well as reducing mpg they are capable of.

Im looking to most likely purchase used. I would like to spend 25-30k. I do understand that a diesel with falls in that price range will more than likely have 80-100,000 miles. I have always been a toyota guy. I feel like the toyota always gave me the lifespan for the money and never had any real issues.

I did have a used 2011 4x4 extra cab that had 27K miles on it. Check our website www.mybufordchevy.com and see if it is there. Great deal on a super clean truck. If you see it and like it call me 478-998-2011 -Sandy

edit- it is a Chevrolet and it is silver. No scratches or dents. Super clean truck.

Im looking to most likely purchase used. I would like to spend 25-30k. I do understand that a diesel with falls in that price range will more than likely have 80-100,000 miles. I have always been a toyota guy. I feel like the toyota always gave me the lifespan for the money and never had any real issues.
So your not looking for a new toyota then? You can prob stretch your dollar for more options/newer vechile on the gasser vs the diesel. Otherwise I think dodge also has the lowest resale value post dealer so you may also get more bang for your buck right there too.

So your not looking for a new toyota then? You can prob stretch your dollar for more options/newer vechile on the gasser vs the diesel. Otherwise I think dodge also has the lowest resale value post dealer so you may also get more bang for your buck right there too.
I try to purchased used. A new Tundra would take me well past my 25-30k budget.

Back
Top Bottom