• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diesel truck recommendation

I have an 06 Duramax I love it if you ask a honest diesel mechanic they will tell you they work on a lot of fords a few
Dodges and even fewer chevys

I'm sure that's how they got the nickname duracrax. Nothing to do with cracked heads..

The Cummins probably the least troubles on the older stuff, fords 7.3 are good motors and everything after that was downhill. The duramax has plenty of power but the ones I've had experience with developed issues. Drive them enough and you will pay for repairs, don't matter the make.

As to the gas motors, I ain't trusting a family vacation in 100 degree GA heat to a v8 that'll barely cut the mustard and needs your foot on the floor to get going

We run a delivery company and i have logged several hundred thousand miles over the years. The guys that run goose neck trailers up and down the coast with 3-5 cars on a trailer are 80% Dodge, 10% Chevy and 10% Ford. I've always used that as a gauge that if i needed a diesel truck to handle business it'd be a Cummins.

I'm sure that's how they got the nickname duracrax. Nothing to do with cracked heads..

The Cummins probably the least troubles on the older stuff, fords 7.3 are good motors and everything after that was downhill. The duramax has plenty of power but the ones I've had experience with developed issues. Drive them enough and you will pay for repairs, don't matter the make.

As to the gas motors, I ain't trusting a family vacation in 100 degree GA heat to a v8 that'll barely cut the mustard and needs your foot on the floor to get going
Yes early ones would crack heads if they were ran hot.. That being said I guess you don't remember how many Cummings cracked blocks due to poor casting... I think
I'll take the chance on the heads on a Duramax plus the dashboard will stay in one piece.

i do a ton of driving for work. My thoughts are that a Diesel engine would allow me more miles for the money. I'm not going to be hauling anything over 8,000 lbs. bad idea?

I have been driving 3/4 ton class diesel trucks since 2006. I chose to go with the Dodge with the Cummins engine. Regular maintenance is quite a bit more expensive than a gas burner due to the large quantity of oil (3 gallons in the Cummins) and other consumables such as the DEF fluid now required for the emissions strategies used on some diesels. Also, fuel costs are usually higher as well. Your improved mileage won't offset fuel costs unless you are towing near your rating.
Current emissions strategies are designed for the intended use of these heavy duty vehicles and don't always function well in the role of an unloaded vehicle.
I rarely tow over 10,000 lbs. and could probably use a 3/4 ton gas burner, but prefer the efficiency of a Diesel engine.
Ram has a light duty diesel truck, but unfortunately, it does not come with a Cummins engine, and has a very light payload/tow rating.

IMHO, you would be better off with a gas burner 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck.

Yea people will tell you just get a gas truck they make plenty of power have never pulled anything very far.
I can set the cruise and never feel a downshift
Pulling a 7k trailer from Atlanta to Dallas TX
I can't go back to gas.
If you're towing every day. A diesel is good

If you're towing your camper on vacation three days a year it's a waste of money
They get 30% better MPG but the fuel costs 30% more. Plus the DEF troubles and expense , the EGR will clog up etc

See if you can test drive a friends gas burner with a trailer
The 6.0 Chevy and the 5.7 Toyota engines have plenty of power for towing a normal camper or boat

The crewmax tundra I used to drive had the 5.7 and hauled trailers fine and got 14.5 in the city , 18 on the highway and got 10 towing

Also has an enormous back seat. The back door is longer than the front door
The back door is 48" long

I pull traliers daily 5k-10k Ive had both Ford 7.3 and Cummins 5.9 and 6.7.The cummins mad the mist power and pulled the hardest.The 7.3 was solid.Having said that my I totally went back to Chevy 6.0 gas.Less maintenance cheaper at the pump and plenty of power .Not diesel power but good power.

Occasional pulling really doesn't justify the cost of the $9000 option for a Duramax (On Chevy's). The 1500 Silverado tows up to 10900 lbs with a 3.73 rear end. THOSE trucks are about $7250-8250 off sticker right now. (Yeah I sell Chevrolets). Matter of fact just bought a 4x4 Z-71. Sticker was $48K and got it for less than $40. Dodge has the highest rebates right now I believe, but you can always track sales versus rebates. More rebates, the less they sell. Ford is the number one selling light duty truck but that is only because GM is stupid and make Chevrolet and GMC. Combine both numbers and it crushes Ford. Just my $0.02 but if you have any questions PM me.

Back
Top Bottom