• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

difference in Laminate vs Vinyl plank flooring

Yah the vinyl seems like it may be easier to install but that's just me being lazy. I just wonder in the vinyl can look and feel as good as laminate.

I like it. It's pretty slick though. It fells a little like viynle floor but it's not that bad. I'm not sure if I would like it in my main living area though.

20181209_151814.jpg
20181213_173553.jpg

Im in the process now of installing 2200’ of lvp. Great stuff. Theres no wood/cork etc so its 100% waterproof and very durable. Water can still get beneath it through the joints but it will not hurt the flooring. I paid $2.75/ft for 9”x5’x8.5 mil boards.

Only tool I bought was a guillotine/brake style shear for $100 on Amazon. But I have been using a sliding miter saw and jobsite table saw for ripping and door jam cuts.

I just installed 1000 sq ft of LVP in my new place and didn't even get the mitre saw out of the shed. LVP can be scored with a razor blade and broken just like they do Sheetrock. Nice clean edges when done.

I just installed 1000 sq ft of LVP in my new place and didn't even get the mitre saw out of the shed. LVP can be scored with a razor blade and broken just like they do Sheetrock. Nice clean edges when done.
Ive already got my miter saw setup for crown and other trim. I usually only cut lvp if Im already out there to make a rip cut also on the table saw. But yes it scores and snaps easily.

Installed about 1000 sq ft glue type laminate, I think surface is formica, 20 years ago. Still not bad. Installed another about 800 sq ft of the snap together laminate about 5 years ago and it is working fine also. Snap together was a whole lot easier than the glue together. I don't think these were totally water resistant as instructions had you to cover floor with plastic, then foam layer, then laminate. Older technology.

About 5 years ago we also installed a product that might be vinyl or similar called 'azure' from HD made in Germany that stuck together and cut to fit with a utility knife. I think I have read/heard complaints about this product also it seems to be doing fine with us. Installed in kitchen/breadfast area and two bathrooms. In the kitchen/breadfast area I installed it over solarian since the solarian was asbestos backed and I didn't want to mess with it although I had installed it 30 years prior to the azure installation.

Heres a bedroom I finished. Gotta come back and install corner round. Ive finished a bathroom and gone down the main hallway too but its all covered in cardboard so I didnt bother getting a picture. Only 66 more boxes to go LOL.
D3DFB295-029F-4FA5-8778-8D0493F426F1.jpeg
D999AA98-96F5-4211-8581-6576731ADA60.jpeg
718BA759-FBB3-492C-ADF7-F79845EF7151.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom