• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do I need a Concealed Carry Permit?

Law says employed in military service of state. Doesn't say anything about being on active or any other kind of duty. I don't recall the whole list of off limits places, but it's real short. Like, prisons, court rooms, and nuclear power plants or something. Maybe one more, can't recall right now.

Now, having said that, while it might be legal, I have no idea what the odds are that any random cop is going to know the law. The few I've talked to have been a bit hazy on 16-11-130. I've been carrying almost a year on my military ID and yet to have a LEO encounter. That's living in Cobb county. YMMV.

No, I'm talking about general carrying, not into schools or courtrooms or anything special. And as I understood it, all military service, not specifically active duty. And just because someone said it may make a difference, I have been deployed, on an extended tour to afghanistan (14 months).

Generally carrying to the store, out to eat, to the movies, whatever, you are GTG. The law is actually quite clear on the matter.

i would get your gwl anyway so you can carry on campus. you are exempt from state law but not federal. The school safety zone act is still in place unless you have a license from the state.

just have a copy of OCGA 16-11-130 which shows you are exempt under Georgia State Law. What i was referring to is the Federal School Safety Zone act. "ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

so even though you may be fine under state law, you need to be licensed by the state to be fine under federal law.

Yes, but I was referring to college campuses. Does that law cover college campuses? I don't believe it does, although I an not 100% sure on that.

For lower schools, yes, you are exempted from state prohibition, but no federal. Realistically, however, what are the odds of a federal LEO being there to catch you? From what I understand, a state or local LEO does not have authority to enforce federal law like that. If course, that is a purely academic discussion, as I dont intend to test that theory or become a test case for the Feds vs state laws.

i was under the impression it covers all schools. Yeah, odds are low; but i wouldnt want to risk it anyway. Just get the license and cover yourself. Plus you get reciprocity to other states.

Back
Top Bottom