• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you tell police you have a gun in the car?

I would not volunteer it but my truck gun is open and obvious to anyone looking in while I drive. I have only been pulled over twice since moving to GA and neither officer mentioned the gun. But they had to have seen it.

if they want to search the car i would,but i was at a remote campground with the family (grilling,trout fishing,etc) & i was carrying & laying in the hammock & some game wardens came up wanted to check my GORP pass & then i told them as i was getting out of the hammock that i was carrying & they said no prob & asked if i had a carry lic which i do.....no probs they went on their way.

Not letting them search my car either.

On 2 occasions I was pulled over both times I did. Gave them my CCW and DL . They didn't seem the least bit concerned about the CCW or that I told them I had a gun on my seat. On the second stop When the officer was returning to my truck after he ran my DL I noticed he approached very cautiously . He yelled for me to put both hands on the steering wheel. I though what the F..k ...I asked him what was the problem and he stated he just saw me moving around a lot in the truck on his way back and knew I had a gun so he just wanted to know where my hands were. I understand....by the way I have never been arrested, no moving violations in 6 yrs. ....this was for no seat belt as he was at a roadblock standing in the street and I was at a red light and I usually have it on but just left a job site and was on the phone. Not sure what I will do next time

Since I am a retired one, let me add...
I don't tell unless they ask, but if you need to go in your console or glove box to get your wallet or registration or anything and you have one in there or if you are wearing one out of sight on the same side as your wallet DEFINITELY tell them that before you go to reaching in there...that's the kind of misunderstanding, that neither of you intended nor wanted.

It's really just common sense.

Back
Top Bottom