• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you tell police you have a gun in the car?

I am an LEO and very professional about my job and people's rights. If this is happening to a lot of people then something is bad wrong. The team I work on does criminal interdiction on a major interstate and we never ask to hold a weapon to run serial numbers. That has nothing to do with a stop for a traffic violation only. However, if I am on a stop where I have deployed my K9 and have legal probable cause to search a vehicle, then and only then, will I run serial numbers. From reading this forum I would have to say that many of you have had terrible experiences with LEO's and I apologize for that. Some people are a disgrace to the badge and the brotherhood that it represents. We are here to protect the innocent and should not be violating law abiding citizens' rights. Makes me ashamed.

Please tell me your k9 is named Hooch.

I am an LEO and very professional about my job and people's rights. If this is happening to a lot of people then something is bad wrong. The team I work on does criminal interdiction on a major interstate and we never ask to hold a weapon to run serial numbers. That has nothing to do with a stop for a traffic violation only. However, if I am on a stop where I have deployed my K9 and have legal probable cause to search a vehicle, then and only then, will I run serial numbers. From reading this forum I would have to say that many of you have had terrible experiences with LEO's and I apologize for that. Some people are a disgrace to the badge and the brotherhood that it represents. We are here to protect the innocent and should not be violating law abiding citizens' rights. Makes me ashamed.

Thanks for knowing and doing your job, even though I think, if the war on drugs is a huge waste and if it would cease, so would the criminal element associated with it.
Think of the war on drugs as a delayed prohibition on alcohol.

I got accused of being a cop basher when I said that the only requirement to be a cop is to be 21 years old (It's actually 18 years old), and most knew less about the law and my rights than I do.

OK Guys, I am a Narcotics Officer/K9 Handler on a major Interstate in GA. I respect law abiding citizens' right to carry a firearm and even emphasize that they do. If I am on the side of the road getting my butt handed to me by some crack head then I want the good Samaritan that stops to help me out to be carrying a firearm!! However, it is a good idea to let the officer that stops you know you have a gun if it is on your person (for example, in a holster on your hip). My reasoning behind this is that many officers ask you to get out to sign a citation or to talk to you so that they are not standing on the traffic line. If you have a gun on your side that is possibly something the officer would want to know before you step out of the car. Any decent officer is not gonna freak out just because you let him know you have a gun. The people that tell me they have one are the people that I trust. However, there is nothing in GA law that requires you to do so. Just a good habit in my opinion.
problem is i cant tell a decent officer from a bad one

so i assume they are all potentially bad and dont give them any information if i can help it. it is self preservation

sorry but thats how it is

problem is i cant tell a decent officer from a bad one

so i assume they are all potentially bad and dont give them any information if i can help it. it is self preservation

sorry but thats how it is

It's kinda the same thing the cops think when they stop someone and they have taken off the ski mask how can you tell whether or not they are bank robbers?

The problem one bad cop out of a thousand is too many and I would say it's about 50/50.
Being courteous and violating my rights doesn't make a cop a good one.

Back
Top Bottom