• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you tip pre-tax or post-tax?

I tip pre-tax. And I try to tip in cash. On the receipt I'll often write "Table" on the "Tip" line. Had a server at a place I went to regularly ask why I didn't tip them the last time I had been there. I had tipped, the bus-boy nicked the tip. So I retyped or double tipped and starting writing "Table" on the tip line.

Also, tips ARE earned. If we get bad service, and I mean really poor service, I may still tip a little, but I will talk to the management. Bad service will turn us off as much as bad food.

If the service is good, 20%, if it's great then the sky's the limit.

Lastly, there is the Dave Ramsey / pass it forward thing. I can clearly remember two times when we've made a waitress's day by leaving a big big tip. One was a college student and the other a single mom around Christmas. Dropping a Benjamin and leaving before they realize it is a great feeling. (just make sure the bus-boy doesn't nick it!).

Damn, I thought my mom was bad when she whips out her friggin calculator at a restaurant.
But you guys take the cake!
So you’re worried about 20% of 7% tax?
That’s $0.14 on every $10.
LoL

7DD0856E-1417-4C6E-B5CA-F10DE4F22D30.jpeg

It is the principle. Why would you want to tip for sales tax? It makes no sense.
What doesn't make sense is tipping by percentages at all. Why should the waitress who took your order and delivered your food make less money because you ordered a hamburger instead of a steak. Or why should she make more money because you ordered a steak instead of a hamburger?

Back
Top Bottom