• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you waste ammo shooting paper or steel?

I find this to be a very weird question, by the OP. And even more strange are the replies stating that they reload their ammo and don't want to waste it! Why are you making ammo...if you don't "want" to shoot it?
Looking at my avatar, you can see that I shoot paper. But, I never waste any ammo. I shoot several different types of competitions and I develop precise loads for whichever gun I am shooting in that particular match. All of my shooting is in practice, practice for matches, and/or self defense.
I have over 50k of primers. And the powder and bullets to load all of them. That would last me approx. two years.
So no. I don't waste ammo shooting paper and steel. I shoot ammo (at paper and steel) to perfect my technique!
Everyone, every shooter, needs practice to stay proficient.

Welcome to ODT

I believe you fight as you train and so not shooting you are no longer proficient with a serious disadvantage defending yourself and family. Quite frankly I don't even trust a gun with my life as a carry weapon unless I have put 500 rds through it.

I have only fired my primary weapons to test function. As long as they cycle and shoot true I'm fine. I don't wear my guns out shooting 500 rounds in a day like I did when I was a kid. I no longer feel the need to test my skills against inanimate objects.

So my firearms just sit oiled up and waiting for a day when they might be needed.

Yes I stack my ammo high and deep and my guns are new and pristine. Some say shooting is a perishable skill. I say I shoot as well today as I did when I first became proficient with firearms and I haven't fired a shot in well over a year.

What about you? You a sport shooter trying to beat a clock? A target shooter trying to beat a score?

Are you one of those guys who shoots paper all day and thinks that makes you more proficient @ ________?

Paper and steel don't shoot back and neither do deer and crows.

So why are you wasting ammo? Do you think it is fun sending dollar bills down range just because you can?

It's none of my business how you spend your time or money............ So that is not what this is about.

This is just something to think about.

iStock_15858030_XXXLARGE-1024x767-1040x340.jpg

I also piss excellence. ;)
some of us are still trying to go further. Note= if i had your experience i'd prolly slow up too?? Doubt it. ching ching chingaling $ $ $ . Still working on my pissin skills too ; just ask the wife

Only firing to test function skips important steps,
1st sigh that puppy in and recheck that every so often
2nd mechanical things can break down, even malfunction without proper use, so use it or loose it.
3rd as you will find out soon enough, as we age our eyesight changes usually for the worse which usually changes our sight picture, again recheck that sight, Ammo, shoot what carry for both function and poi
4th, if I pay $500 and much more its not a wall hanger I get my money's worth put of it either saving a life or punching paper and steel so that I will have that ability as second nature should that need ever arise.
5th, Damun if my inheritors will get all my stuff to sell at the nearest pawn shop for 10 cents on the $5.

Back
Top Bottom