• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you waste ammo shooting paper or steel?

This is why I'll never be a collector. Can't deal with a safe queen. If I own it, it goes "bang" on a regular basis.
I have at least 30 guns I don’t shoot and most likely never will. I have them just for my own amusement . Heck most of my firearms have no real world use . I doubt I’ll use a desert eagle in any capacity other than range fun and yet I still had to have 4 of them.

With me, if I go for several months without firing a shot, I don't usually shoot very well once I do. I can go back 2 or 3 days later and will shoot much better. Just me and I am not a big shooter.

I have at least 30 guns I don’t shoot and most likely never will. I have them just for my own amusement . Heck most of my firearms have no real world use . I doubt I’ll use a desert eagle in any capacity other than range fun and yet I still had to have 4 of them.
Wow! Four of them? I would be looking at all that value and figuring out what I could use it on that is more practical. Notice I said "more". I like to fill niches of use and many of the weapons I have could easily cover what other weapons I own are for, but not as well as that other weapon. Some of my bolt actions are a good example of that. All of these are heavy barreled rifles:

223 for varmint and yotes at long range.
6.5 Creedmoor for PRS (which I have yet to actually do)
308 for mid range (out to around 800 yards) target/tactical and hunting.
300 RUM for extreme range hunting
338 Lapua Mag for things that need to get broke or die hard at extreme extreme range and... just "F"n because.

I feel that every one of these is practically justified. My wife's opinion may differ. LOL!

Wow! Four of them? I would be looking at all that value and figuring out what I could use it on that is more practical. Notice I said "more". I like to fill niches of use and many of the weapons I have could easily cover what other weapons I own are for, but not as well as that other weapon. Some of my bolt actions are a good example of that. All of these are heavy barreled rifles:

223 for varmint and yotes at long range.
6.5 Creedmoor for PRS (which I have yet to actually do)
308 for mid range (out to around 800 yards) target/tactical and hunting.
300 RUM for extreme range hunting
338 Lapua Mag for things that need to get broke or die hard at extreme extreme range and... just "F"n because.

I feel that every one of these is practically justified. My wife's opinion may differ. LOL!
Yep . 4 . 2 .357 , 2 44 magnums and a .50 kit for all! I even got them ugly ones too. The .357 in the last picture I shoot often. It’s my favorite

3A06D693-81EB-406E-86A0-226590698393.jpeg

EC50B395-9486-4D9D-AD03-30A77DFFF17D.jpeg

693FA371-84F1-4621-92FA-9A4308E4D1C9.jpeg

I have never been a great target shooter. Never have been since I was a kid. I never did much of it until now that I am 50 and I don't hunt much anymore. I have always been able to make the shot when it counts weather the target is sitting still or in a all out run. I use to pick jack rabbits off in a full run in Oklahoma like it was nothing. I mean I am not a bad shot, I'm just not tack driver material. As far as the question goes I shoot paper for rifles and steel knock down plates with my pistolas.

In direct reply to the title of this thread:

When I pick up a gun (borrowed, of course since I don't own any myself) to shoot it, I am intentionally pulling the trigger. Therefore, I am not wasting any ammo since the act was calculated and with purpose.

I find this to be a very weird question, by the OP. And even more strange are the replies stating that they reload their ammo and don't want to waste it! Why are you making ammo...if you don't "want" to shoot it?
Looking at my avatar, you can see that I shoot paper. But, I never waste any ammo. I shoot several different types of competitions and I develop precise loads for whichever gun I am shooting in that particular match. All of my shooting is in practice, practice for matches, and/or self defense.
I have over 50k primers. And the powder and bullets to load all of them. That would last me approx. two years.
So no. I don't waste ammo shooting paper and steel. I shoot ammo (at paper and steel) to perfect my technique!
Everyone, every shooter needs practice, to stay proficient.

I have never been a great target shooter. Never have been since I was a kid. I never did much of it until now that I am 50 and I don't hunt much anymore. I have always been able to make the shot when it counts weather the target is sitting still or in a all out run. I use to pick jack rabbits off in a full run in Oklahoma like it was nothing. I mean I am not a bad shot, I'm just not tack driver material. As far as the question goes I shoot paper for rifles and steel knock down plates with my pistolas.

Color me confused. Don't you claim all your rifles are sub-MOA and buy expensive components for accuracy? Why do you do all of that if you're not a good shot?

Back
Top Bottom