• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does the 22LR beat a .45 for SD? Talk amoung yourselves

This is very debatable. While I dont doubt a 45s knockdown power you have recoil, weight, and mag capacity working against it. There was however a thread on snipershide not long ago an old vietnam vet gets mugged. He pulls his 22 and shoots the mugger between the eyes. Bullet bounces off his thick head and he lives to sue the vet(true story). On the flipside of that if I could find a pmr30 in 22mag loaded with 30 hornady critical defense, bet your ass Im going to carry that over my pro carry II

Back in late '84 at a biker bar outside of Bragg I witness a huge guy get shot in the head with a 22. He staggered back a bit and proceeded to beat the living S**T out of the guy. after about 3 minutes , he walked up to the bar ask the bartender to call the police ,because he had been shot and a ambulance for him and the guy on the floor,and ordered a beer. Since that night the only 22/22mag I will carry is for last shot back up.. The shot hit the guy just over his left eye and traveled around his skull. Either that guy had a head made of steel or it was bad ammo....maybe both

Back in late '84 at a biker bar outside of Bragg I witness a huge guy get shot in the head with a 22. He staggered back a bit and proceeded to beat the living S**T out of the guy. after about 3 minutes , he walked up to the bar ask the bartender to call the police ,because he had been shot and a ambulance for him and the guy on the floor,and ordered a beer. Since that night the only 22/22mag I will carry is for last shot back up.. The shot hit the guy just over his left eye and traveled around his skull. Either that guy had a head made of steel or it was bad ammo....maybe both
Probably a little of both. If I had to rely on 22 for self-defense, I would have to unload for sure. One shot ain't gonna do it in that kind of scenario.

Then again, I would be using Stingers so maybe it would work out.

.45 breaks bones, 22lr doesn't. Mini Mags just barely meet FBI minimum penetration standards, but if I'm not tearing up organs I'm still looking to drop the BG and the easiest way to do that is breaking bones not bouncing off of them.

That guy I an idiot. While I agree with a lot of his points in those videos he is far from a firearms expert. His "training" school he works at is a martial arts school that they decided to do gun training from last year.

I would carry a .22 only if it's all I could carry.

I shot a wounded deer 5 times between the eyes with a .22 pistol at point blank range, all the deer did was shake it's head after every shot. I finally cut it's throat. I skinned the head out after and found all 5 rounds flattened against the skull with zero penetration. I know a lot of animals have been poached with a .22, but they must be hitting them in the eyes or ears.

Back
Top Bottom