• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does the 22LR beat a .45 for SD? Talk amoung yourselves

Same with multiple other calibers. Including .45

Very true.... all pistol rounds are inferior when compared to those from a rifle or shotgun but portability or ease of carry is of course the determining factor for most of us.

That is why we train hard to maximize the pistol platform by practicing to quickly & accurately fire multiple sounds into an attacker(s) to create enough damage to make them physically incapable of continuing their assault.

Good point. There are still no "magic bullets" available although they are better than they used to be.

One other consideration w/ .22's to note is that in addition to "duds", keeping them clean, especially the chamber, is critical because many malfunctions are caused by barrel fouling where the slide won't go fully into battery in a semi-auto or into the cylinder of a revolver.
Smaller calibers sometimes aren't as forgiving to lack of cleaning since the tolerances aren't as great.

Some platforms seem more prone to problems than others.
We use the S&W M&P .22 rifles & the pistols both in classes & both go a long time before fouling so bad that malfunctions occur.
The same could be said for 10/22's.

If you know you are going to a gunfight, then you have a lot of choices.
However (most of us) don't leave home with plans like that!

A gun in hand is worth 5 in the glove box out in the car ...
I "carry" a Taurus 732 for the sole purpose of getting me back (alive) to my "real"
gun which is a G23 ... The 732 can be CCW'd the G23 can too if you don't mind everyone
knowing that you are ... which is particularly inconvenient where CCW's are frowned upon!
My 732 inside a pocket holster is "invisible" yet immediately accessable

BTW: 007 upgraded from a .25 ACP to .32 ACP ... which, within 7 yards is certainly lethal
with one "good" single OR multiple "bad" hits! The same can be said of the .22 ... However,
since they both take the same foot-print, the .32 ACP is a much more robust round.
Outside 7 yards ... I'm running away from the action!!!

Not to detract from it's affectionados, but the .380 (while more powerful than the .32 ACP) is
simply too snappy for me and is harder to get back on target for fast double or tripple taps.
Inside 7 yards, I find my 732 to be as accurate as my G23.

Last edited:
My grandfather shot a mugger in the face with a .22 shotshell round. The guy lived. My grandfather was so mad he liked to have lost his mind. ( he carried a .45 1911 everyday since WWII, but not that day) Having said that. I don't want to be as mad as he was, so I'll carry my DB9...lol...

My grandfather shot a mugger in the face with a .22 shotshell round. The guy lived. My grandfather was so mad he liked to have lost his mind. ( he carried a .45 1911 everyday since WWII, but not that day) Having said that. I don't want to be as mad as he was, so I'll carry my DB9...lol...

I bet that left a mark! Ouch.

Yeah. I have to wonder about some of these skulls that can bounce a .22lr. I have seen thousands of hogs taken down very quickly with one shot of .22lr to the head. If you have ever seen a hog skull then you know its no joke. If this not penetrating skulls is really happening, something tells me it is with 40 year old ammo that has been in the gun for most of its life. A stinger, mini mag, or yellow jacket to the head would make for the worst day of most peoples lives. Not sayin that it is my preferred choice to carry but just sayin.

Where are they shooting the hogs in the head, ear, eyes or forehead? The .22 can kill effectively if it hits the right spot. Are they shooting every hog in a known weak spot of the skull or are they just shooting at the head? I know of many deer being poached with a .22, but the poachers are shooting for specific spots on the deer head and the deer are not pumped up on Adrenalin. Are you willing to bet your life that a Stinger,Mini Mag or Yellow Jacket will always perform on every shot into an animal or persons skull for self defense?

A CCI Velocitor .22 sure as hell kicked my wall's ass. The exit wound:

i1256.photobucket.com_albums_ii484_blattrev_222222001.jpg

I would much rather carry a .45 for SD, but if all I had was a .22 I would be carrying Velocitors or Aguila Interceptors...

Back
Top Bottom