• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does your AR eat steel?

Does your AR eat steel

• Yes it eats steel

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • No must feed brass

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Tortilla Jacketed lettuce and beef point

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
I've run about 3000-4000 rounds of Bear/Tula/Wolf between my ARs/Sig 556/SCAR with one failure to extract. That was in the Sig 556 and all it took was a forceful pull of the charging handle to clear the malfunction.

googled this from yahoo.
"Unfortunately, steel case ammo being actually harmful for your AR is a quite popular myth. Steel is less malleable than brass. When you fire a brass cartridge, the brass expands to the chamber walls and helps block any expanding cases from dirtying up your chamber. When firing steel cartridges, the steel doesn't expand as well as brass, so you probably will end up getting a little carbon residue in the chamber. This tiny amount of carbon in the chamber is enough to make extraction of brass cased ammo more difficult. When the brass expands to the dirty chamber after firing steel ammo, it conforms to the carbon residue somewhat, increasing friction. This small amount of friction is sometimes enough to make a normally okay AR malfunction when attempting to eject a fired cartridge.

So to give you a short answer, use both! Just make sure to really clean out the chamber after firing steel ammo."

at what round count does your ar stop feeding steal should be the ? , every one i have had will shoot about 200 then you got to clean it ,

i've ran wolf and every other laquer coated russian ammo named after an animal through my rock river and have never had a failure.

I have had AR's that will and AR's that won't. I believe I had an LMT that would not eat Wolf to save my life. Of course, I utilize AK-47's now and they will eat anything. Yes, literally.

I have had AR's that will and AR's that won't. I believe I had an LMT that would not eat Wolf to save my life. Of course, I utilize AK-47's now and they will eat anything. Yes, literally.

which Ar's would not? Would you say it is brand related or lemons? Was it only wolf that gave problems?

The ones I've owned that would not reliably feed Wolf.

LMT upper on C3 lower (would break rims off)
Bushmaster XM15 (stock)
Sabre Defence (stock)

But I have had 20 or so AR's so the ratios arent that bad I guess.............for AR15's.

Good thing I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom