Double slam fire in 1911

Should put all new springs in a gun that old if not done in last 10 years or so. They are cheap and available from midway, brownell's, etc.

I may have a new one on hand, will have to check.

Do you know how to detail strip it?
Nope. But I guess at this point... I'm not (too) scared. :becky:

I'm fairly certain it has no modifications other than the sites. It was purchased directly from the NRA in 1962 and my father was the only to own it since then. But no, I can't swear nothing else was done as he's unfortunately not around to confirm.

I'm starting to think sear spring?..... :noidea:
Thats a good start, Also if you take it apart maybe post some pictures here and someone might know if they have been worked on or need changing.

Replace the sear spring and see what happens? The only time I ever had this happen on one of my 1911's was after I had dicked with and installed a super light hammer spring. Being as this is an old target gun it was common practice to monkey with the hammer spring to help trigger pull back in the day. I do recommend though that you only replace one thing at a time until you locate the problem.

To test if it is the sear spring (and you are going to change it anyway), take it out, bend it to add more power, reinstall and see if the hammer still falls. If not, you found your problem.

I do not have a spare, but that offer from PTC sounds good.

www.brownells.com_UserDocs_Documents_SearView.jpg

The left leg bears on the sear, that is the one to bend toward the muzzle.

Remington Rand was a subsidiary of the Remington arms company.. They made sewing machines prior to WWII then produced 1911 as did many other companies who had the machinery.

take the pistol to someone familiar with the 1911... might be the sear spring but modern sears, disconnectors and hammers are so much better today it would be worth it to upgrade and be safe.

Back
Top Bottom