• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Driver's license and GWCL

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're saying Lavonia doesn't have designated crosswalks?
There's no such thing as "Jay Walking" in Lavonia.
And people say I live in the sticks. lol
Only a few designated legal everywhere else. Poor deflection...
There is already case law that I have described. YOU can be willingly ignorant if you want, but it won’t protect you if you pointedly don’t not at least make an effort.
Some of these people would sell to anyone just to make a buck, and hide behind “well I don’t have too”
That is not a legal defense if the sale is illegal. Testifying that you made an effort, I simply ask and gauge the response. If someone wants to see my license I will show it. But I will not have anything but my name and address on a BOS if some one wants that.
My DOB and license numbers are not for anyone but me and LE.

I DONT HAVE FIREARMS PERMIT SO A LOT OF FOLKS I CANT BUY FROM, BUT I HAVE A GA DRIVERS LICENSE ! I LIKE TO BE SURE IM SELLING TO A GA RESIDENT AND THEY ARE OF AGE ! WEAPONS PERMIT NOT IMPORTANT TO ME BECAUSE SOMEONE COULD HAVE A FAMILY VIOLENCE OFFENSE TWO MONTHS AFTER RECIEVING PERMIT AND ITS NO LONGER GOOD.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-113 (b) (1) was ammended in 2018 and states you cannot "Knowingly and Intentionally sell a firearm to a felon"

But I guess enacting your own form of a Universal Background Check, and demanding someone produce their state granted privileged to carry a weapon and drive makes you a good and reasonable fella. :rolleyes:

If you need to see my GWL and DL to buy your gun.....Then I'm going to need to see you FFL to sell it. Seems reasonable, right?

Napoleon said it best "Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress."
Knowingly is the key. You cannot purposely not at least make an effort. Legal standard is “known or should have known” purposely ignoring what should be obvious will get you into trouble.
I never said I was in favor of this, but it is reality. I’m just telling folks stuff that will help keep people out of trouble.

Knowingly is the key. You cannot purposely not at least make an effort. Legal standard is “known or should have known” purposely ignoring what should be obvious will get you into trouble.
I never said I was in favor of this, but it is reality. I’m just telling folks stuff that will help keep people out of trouble.

That's your opinion.....It's certainly not what is written in 16-11-113(b)(1).
Furthermore what proof would you have after the fact that you did anything to ""known or should have known" by looking at a GWL/DL during a FTF transaction? Are you going to film the inspection of the papers, take a picture, your word that you look at them? The whole thing in nonsensical and all about feelings and smacks of the Universal Background Check concept.

Like I said before I have personally bought and sold many many firearms to and from individuals for at least the past 30 years and have never asked for identification nor have I ever been asked for identification and I have never had a problem and never had a conversation or question from the authorities about a firearm I have bought or sold...YMMV

Where does it say "you are to make a reasonable effort," and what does that even mean???

Personally I don't care what adults do in private transactions whether it's firearms, cars, or your pet snake Bobo. But since we're on the subject...

In looking at the two sides of this coin, it seems to me that the side that's really coming closest to running afoul of Unconstitutional laws is the wannabe FFL side checking IDs and conducting many firearms transactions without a license.
I agree with you in principle, but I’m just telling real world facts.
I have to live my life in the real world and I will protect myself in this world not in the world I know it SHOULD be.
Reasonable effort is not ignoring what you should see. And doing something positive to ensure to yourself the transaction is legal.
Like I said I simply ask. If I feel hinky or uneasy I’ll ask for a license or GWL. Will that ensure it’s legal? Hell no, but I did at least check.
That is a positive defense if I was accused in a crime or sued because the weapon was used to hurt someone’s victim or family that is looking to sue for a payday.
If you are in court it’s a lot better than, well I didn’t have too...
I was involved in a civil case involving a vehicle wreck where a pedestrian was killed.
The victim crossed in front of the guy about 150ft outside of a marked crossing. The driver didn’t even hit the brakes until after impact.
His defense was that there is no law that specifically states he has to brake for a person that is crossing outside of a crosswalk, and there was no criminal charge.
He lost that case in a big way and insurance only paid a fraction of the judgement. Jury was asked later and said they wouldn’t have judged against him if he would have made any effort at all.
So y’all just live in the land you WANT to be judged in. I wish it was that way too. But I live here in the real world.

I wish it wasn’t that way, but it is and everyone should protect themselves. Doesn’t take much effort. And doesn’t require BOS or writing down info. If you chose that I will not condem you, I will just not do business with you if you want my info.
Do what you feel you need to do, I won’t condem you if you don’t do what I do or more than I do.

Like I said before I have personally bought and sold many many firearms to and from individuals for at least the past 30 years and have never asked for identification nor have I ever been asked for identification and I have never had a problem and never had a conversation or question from the authorities about a firearm I have bought or sold...YMMV
And I hope you never do, and that’s your decision, I’m not telling you what to do. I’m just letting folks that want to know what can and has happened in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom