• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dry fireing...does it harm centerfire rifles or pistols?

Does dry firing damage modern centerfire weapons?

• No, dry fire all you want (no rimfires)

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • This is why we can’t have nice things. Buy snap caps you idiot.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Shut up and have a taco.

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
Smith & Wesson has it in their instruction manuals it is safe to dry fire all of their makes/models except rimfire.
I have Ruger revolvers i have dry fired thousand of times while watching tv to get the trigger a little smoother and to do trigger finger workouts ..... :becky:

Everything i have ever had i have dry fired sans rimfires.

even the 22/45 mark III rugers say it is say to dry fire them as they have a firing pin block. Also have heard 10/22's are safe to dry fire as well.

Centerfire all day long.

Good to know..but old superstitions die hard! As others said have no problems dry with my glocks but did buy snap caps for the others.

even the 22/45 mark III rugers say it is say to dry fire them as they have a firing pin block. Also have heard 10/22's are safe to dry fire as well.

Centerfire all day long.

Actually, in the Ruger Mark series pistols, the pin that retains the Firing Pin in the Bolt serves to limit the forward travel of the Firing Pin so that it won't "Ding" the Chamber...At least, that's the THEORY... :)

I've seen Ruger 22 pistol chamber mouth that were peened so bad from firing pins that I had to use a Jeweler's file to remove the burrs

As I said, the THEORY is that the Firing Pin Retaining Pin will limit the forward travel of the F/P so that it doesn't ding the Chamber--And IF everything is "In Spec" and UNmodified, it works that way--Sounds like a lotta' "If's" to me...

Back
Top Bottom