• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

egg plant

3clicks_Off

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
391   0
Reaction score
My mom loaded me down with egg plant yesterday and explained several different ways to prepare.
Seems like the 'soak in salt water then slice and fry like fried green tomatoes' may be best for me.
How do you prefer/prepare them?

Attachments

• 20150706_102524.jpg
    20150706_102524.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 15
Peel the black skin off (yes, that's racist) and then cut into 1/4" slices, add extra virgin olive oil and salt and roast on the grill or in a pan. Turn occasionally until browned.
If you like garlic, some fresh minced or even powder would make it awesome.
Fresh bread with some sharp cheddar cheese and you have a simple but awesome sandwich

Ok for an absolutely killer eggplant parm.

First things first, eggplant browns quickly once it's skinned, so don't get ahead of yourself.
You'll need a big casserole dish.

In a fry pan get some oil heating.
Once the oil is hot and ready to go.

Skin the eggplant (one at a time) and cut it into thin slices. (about 1/8 of an inch)
Dip them in flour
Then in a mixture of beaten eggs, italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
(This sounds backwards, but flour, before the egg!)

Then into the frying pay until light brown, turn it over and do the other side.
Drain on paper towels.
(Lightly salt a couple, so you have something to eat while you're cooking. Be careful because they'll be hot as molten lava, lol.)

Continue until all the eggplant is cooked.

In the meantime put some of your favorite marinara sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish.
I use Prego traditional. Just a light coating is all that's needed.

Make a layer of eggplant.
Top with a tablespoon or two of marinara sauce on each eggplant slice.
Then about a heaping tablespoon of mozzarella cheese on each eggplant slick.
Continue until you're close to the top of the pan.

When you're there, pour some sauce into the openings.
(The secret is not to drown it. The sauce thins as it's heated and will expand.)
Then top it with a nice thick layer or mozzarella cheese and sprinkle some Italian seasoning on the top.

Put it in the middle of the oven on 350 degrees, remove when it's hot and bubbly and the cheese on top is just starting to brown.

It's killer and now I'm starving, lol.

(My Italian grandmothers recipe. I make it every year and actually make several. They freeze very well, just don't cook them first. Take them out of the freezer let them defrost and stick them in the oven. People will think you're a chef!)

EDITED TO HIGHLIGHT "THE SECRETS OF THE SECRET RECIPE"
Skin them one at a time and only when the oil is hot and ready to go. (Or they'll brown like an apple.)
Cut them thin, better with a bunch of thin slices then a few thick slices. (There's more cheese and sauce sliced thin)
Put just one slice in the frypan until you're sure the oil is good and hot. (Or you might have a bunch sucking up the oil.)
Don't let them sit too long in the oil, if it's not hot enough turn it up. (They'll act like a sponge!)
Easy on the marinara sauce as it heats it expands.
Buy an extra eggplant. (Or you won't have enough, cause you'll be eating it as fast as you're cooking it).
Serve with a salad and some garlic bread and you'll think you're at a "fine" restaurant.
Freeze a couple in smaller portions and cover with aluminum foil. (So you don't have to clean up everytime).

Last edited:
Daddy used to slice them long ways, season them with salt and pepper, battered them like he did fish in corn meal then fry them in the same fish grease.

slice...coat in olive oil...cover in bread crums...fry in olive oil...then bake in oven stacked two slices high with a layer of mozarella and red sauce on top of each layer...mmmmm

slice...coat in olive oil...cover in bread crums...fry in olive oil...then bake in oven stacked two slices high with a layer of mozarella and red sauce on top of each layer...mmmmm

That's almost an eggplant parm recipe right there.
I do know some use bread crumbs instead of flour then eggs.
The flour and eggs is the way I learned it, but it's good with bread crumbs too!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom