• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric cars

I would be much more interested in electric if charging weren’t such an issue

If the super capacitor type battery breakthrough were to ever really happen, we would be in business!

An electric car with a 15 min charge cycle would be something I would be interested in
The Hyundais use an 800v charge takes 18 min to get the 10to 80% so electric is close I tell people to plug up every time they come home and it’s like 5 when you add it up over the corse of a week

How much is the weight increase on average?

What kind of changes to the vehicle structure are required?

Will salvage yards take totaled electric vehicles?

Besides Tesla who recycles the batteries?
Weight is close to sedan weight no sports car weight yet mini might be close on that though, and not sure about reg salvage yard but the motors and beater pack get ch a goo bit on the secondary market for gear heads convertin VW bugs and busses Etc

At this point in my life I'd like a plug in hybrid with a 75 mile range that costs the same as a "mild" hybrid. I'm specifically talking about a plug in version of the Honda accord as they already have hybrids (so they wouldn't have to add an electric motor and energy recovery technology cost to their car) only need a somewhat larger battery. I know I'm oversimplifying but it seems doable. Much of my family driving would fall within a 75 mile roundtrip (actually less than 60 but I seem to see most advertised ranges are overly optimistic). I do still make at least a few trips to Florida, Hilton Head and the dreaded New York (deal with it I have family and friends that still live there-LOL) so a gas powered car seems to still be the most hassle free way to travel without recharging worries. Having the electric option would make me worry less with about our less than stellarly reliable Colonial pipeline company and the occasional hurricane related gas shortages. When the big battery goes kaput it would still be driveable and could probably go on from then on without replacing the battery if I chose not to.
This is based on my understanding of currently available technology.
L

I am a disabled auto and med/hvy truck mechanic.
(I can no longer work on them for a living due to a slew of physical issues that has come about in the last couple of years).
I like getting the lowdown and everyone’s opinions on this . I think it is interesting!

is that better or worse than a 17 round magazine with $40 worth of mini expolion causing devises that move a projectile out a barrel attached to your hip?
Definitely not the same. My sidearm would only ignite if this Happened while driving an EV.

IMG_5384.jpeg

Every vehicle is ideal in a specific situation. I can think of no instance where an all electric vehicle would be ideal for any of my needs today.
If I lived in an urban core and needed a daily commuter and had other real vehicles, then perhaps. But then I would have bigger issues, like needing to be institutionalized.

Drive one if you want, but please stop trying to convince those of us who realize the tech is not ready yet...and this is from the Weather Channel, hardly a right wing conservative site.

1693840690119.png

Back
Top Bottom