• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Elementary School discipline

Well I'm not as old as biker, but things were definitely different when I was a kid...

It doesn't help that I'm old enough to probably be the teacher's dad. I feel like SHE needs discipline sometimes...grr...
Nobody is as old as biker. It's not her age. My son has had teacher's in their 20's through their 50's. They all operate under similar guidelines but yes, there is a decided difference in "tolerance". :)

Maybe next year he'll get a male teacher in his 50's. No more emails!
Funny you say that. My son had one last year. Admitted conservative. Big boy. My son used to recount stories and laugh about how he'd tell students "I'll bust your butt!" when they'd act up. I remember thinking "He's going to get in trouble for that." Funny thing was, I never got an email from him. ;)

Funny you say that. My son had one last year. Admitted conservative. Big boy. My son used to recount stories and laugh about how he'd tell students "I'll bust your butt!" when they'd act up. I remember thinking "He's going to get in trouble for that." Funny thing was, I never got an email from him. ;)

Too funny! BTW, Thanks for listening to me vent.

I hate to say it but part of the problem is that I'm already gone for work by the time my wife gets up and takes him to school and goes to work. If *I* was the one taking him to school, he wouldn't try to sneak anything past me. I've told my wife before when she spanks him, she's got to make it memorable for him.

But I remember basically laughing my mom's spankings off when I was a kid too. But when Dad got home, THAT was a whole different story.

@nitrousfedlx

Dude ... my mom used to make me go get my own switch's
Then wear my legs out while running in circles...
My dad was my refuge when he got home from work

Mom FTW! :laugh:
My mom hurt her hand attempting to knock some sense into me. Dad's belt never got hurt.

If you had been smart you would have brought back a tree limb..She did not quote the size the switch had to be! just sayin!:becky:

So look what Google taught me. It must be true since I'm failing as a parent...

When you take away something from a child as a punishment, you run the risk of making it seem more special. Food should not be used as a punishment or a reward. It is a symbol of nurturing, necessary for survival, and is best left unburdened by emotions that punishment and reward call up. When dessert is withheld, you send the message that the rest of the meal is less important — clearly, not what you want to suggest.

The same goes for TV. With the exception of commercial-free, high-quality children's programming, television is rarely special. If you can clearly make the connection between a TV ban and the misbehavior, it can be used sparingly: "I told you to turn the TV off three times, and you couldn't get yourself to stop. There'll be no more TV tonight, and none tomorrow. It's too hard for you to listen when the TV is on."

A few words on spanking: When parents spank, it's usually because they lost control themselves. Supporters of spanking might say that it does stop a child's unwanted behavior. Sure it does. But so would any painful or aversive technique. It is a form of behavioral conditioning. If your goal is to teach your child to give in to people who are more powerful — powerful enough to hurt her — this method may appeal to you. But if your goal is to teach your child to know right from wrong, and to care about what's right for its own sake, spanking won't work. How could any child understand if you say, "Don't hit," but then hit her?

Some parents who were spanked as children say, "I was spanked and I turned out alright." But was this because they were spanked or in spite of it? Sometimes, they'll say, "I was bad and I needed it." These parents' lives are often scarred by the sense of their own badness that they grew up with. Others say, "I don't remember why I was spanked. I do remember how much it hurt, how angry it made me, how much I wanted to get back at my parents." Perhaps it did stop the bad behavior momentarily, but what did spanking teach them? If discipline is teaching, spanking is not discipline.

Back
Top Bottom