• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

entry level ar-15

Nobody is saying Bushmaster, PSA, and other low tier AR's are TERRIBLE rifles. They go bang, and kill things as intended.

The point is that for an extra 200 dollars, you can buy a BCM which is 4x the rifle that's made from quality parts and craftsmanship.

I have 2 DDM4s as well as other ARs. The PSA isnt a DDM4 or a Noveske, but its "low tier" in price only.

Chucklenut was asking about an entry level rifle on a budget this time around. The PSA is twice the rifle that a Carbon Bushy, M&P Sport, DPMS Sportical, SOTAs, etc is. I have nothing against those ARs...Ive owned a few of those and have 2 PSAs.

For that price on the PSA you are getting milspec features, FN made milspec chrome lined 1:7 barrels, properly staked castle nut/gas key, MBUS sight, etc at $699 with free shipping. PSA stands alone at that price point. When taking them apart and shooting them, I am amazed what I got for the price. Its much more than a plinker.

If PSA can get through their growing pains they are going to build a rep that prices them with Bushmaster and the M&P 15. Better get them on the cheap while you can.

What is the measure other than price that makes a DD better than a PSA?

As far as I can tell - all of the "milspec" staking, m4 feed ramps, etc. are all there...

Delton is the Hi-Point of the AR world.Works just fine for the short term, and it would be a better choice than no gun. But if you can afford it then spend just a few more dollars.I have considered a. Delton build for a spare gun.
That's funny I held A comparable priced bushmaster and it felt as it was going to fall apart in my hands not to mention the slop in the pins between the upper and lower. Ill put my "highpoint" dti against that bushy any day. And A colt for $650-700 please tell me where so I can get A few to resale. Don't get me wrong those companys make good ar in the upper price range , like comparing an taurus 1911 to an ed brown both good guns but the eb will have more sophistication due to the higher price point. My point is delton is not the hipoint of the ar world it's a good riffle for it's price point.

I don't mean to scoff but realistically suggesting that an "ed brown will have more sophistication" is silly. A taurus 1911 has all the features of the ed brown out of the box and shoots as well as the ed brown out of the box ... and will probably last a lifetime. What people don't realize though is that the taurus, while it will still probably last you a lifetime, is made of softer steel that will wear out faster ... even if, like I said before, it lasts your lifetime. For this reason it's not realistic to compare a taurus/ed brown 1911 difference to a delton vs lwrc vs dd vs psa ar discussion .... it's just not the same thing because the AR's are using the same metal not a softer alloy or something. The receivers have to be milspec and most of the barrels meet or exceed milspec by default.

AR's are very different. People poopoo a cheeper AR but in the AR world it isn't about the quality of the mil-spec parts like the receivers, etc .... that's just silly. Realistically there is zero difference in the receivers used by LWRC or even Daniel defense and those used by spikes, PSA or even RGUNS or bushmaster... none, zero, zip ...

Lots of people will pick on you for that DPMS rifle but those people are stupid and arrogant and not "gurus" they are just snooty.

What makes them different are just a couple of things

1. The finish work on the receivers (how pretty they are whether it's anodized, cerakoted, whatever or both ..)
2. The small parts /trigger/hammer assembly that is used
3. The barrel that is chosen. (LWRC/DD use cold hammer forged barrels )

Now here's the sticky part .... if you price it a CHF barrel isn't that much more than a standard barrel etc ... so the premium that you are really paying for turns out to be the name on the sticker.

If all you want is a gun that will be a great shooter, realistically, any yhm, psa, spikes, dpms or yes even delton ar will be just fine and will see you through the zombie apocalypse without failure.

And before someone says "he's just sore because he doesn't have any nice AR's" ... I own LWRC, DD, LMT, colt delton/dti AND dpms, bushmaster and frankengun .... with the exception of the finish and in LWRC's case the piston ... they're the same gun ... worse ... the colts and lmts have cheep roll marks and so much slop in their build that it makes me long for a delton AR ... I'm told that this is "mil-spec" behavior to have the upper and lower rattling around on each other, and they shoot fine, but it is bothersome.

When you're saving money I recommend just making sure you get one that has an upper with forward assist and dust cover instead of ultra cheeping out and for the love of all that is holy make sure it's made out of metal and not plastic.

Last edited:
Yes I realize that alot of people have good luck with the plastic ones .... and mostly they're fine but the parts wear out faster and they are not a fan of getting very cold (winter ... ewwww) and then warm and then cold ... variance, over time, that won't harm the metal receivers will eventually kill your plastic one....and it sucks when you strip the stock tube hole ;)

well i guess i will add my .02 to this.

DO NOT BUY

DPMS
Anything with a plastic receiver
anything with a name you have not heard of

FACTORY GUNS I HAVE OWNED

Daniel Defense
S&W
Spikes
PSA
Olympic arms
Bushmaster
colt
DTI

all were great weapons and would own any of those again.

i think you would be better to build a PSA. JMO on it, i have built several and im building another now. as far as customer service it has been spot on with me.

OR you could buy this from PSA. sale ends on 10/8
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-16-pa-15cr-moe-carbine.html

You can get a brand new Colt 6920 or 6720 shipped to your local FFL dealer for just under a thousand dollars. Saying a Colt is a great AR in the upper price range is misleading.
Rollmarks may not be as pretty as some makers but if you take a couple of classes or actually train hard with your AR it's gonna get a scratch or two anyway.

Yes I realize that alot of people have good luck with the plastic ones .... and mostly they're fine but the parts wear out faster and they are not a fan of getting very cold (winter ... ewwww) and then warm and then cold ... variance, over time, that won't harm the metal receivers will eventually kill your plastic one....and it sucks when you strip the stock tube hole ;)
i picked up a bushy at dicks sporting goods (i was just in there) and i saw the tag, it was like 650 (they had a "special")

so i thought i was going to be leaving with an ar

when the guy handed it to me, didnt have any sights, so i thought not a problem or the price.......but then i realized the lower was poly framed

handed it right back. omfg i couldnt do it. that poly lower is just...........garbage. maybe they work ok but i wasnt about to have that

Back
Top Bottom