• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ever seen someone kicked off a range?

ive seen a very close friend DQ'd and sent home from a large match. it sucks but it is sometimes necessary. it def. drives the point home. we have to remember the tools used to "play" the game CAN KILL and its literally a one shot deal. It sounds cheesy but safety is the first step in the fundamentals of marksmanship.

ive seen a very close friend DQ'd and sent home from a large match. it sucks but it is sometimes necessary. it def. drives the point home. we have to remember the tools used to "play" the game CAN KILL and its literally a one shot deal. It sounds cheesy but safety is the first step in the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Doesn't sound cheesy at all.

Two of the most dangerous elements on the range are ignorance and complacency.

I can't understand why anyone would ever want to use an indoor range. I think I would give up shooting if that was my only option. I would certainly drive a couple of hours to avoid it. I won't shoot at an indoor range. In my opinion they are a horrible experience.
/cosigned
too loud, health hazards out the wazoo, no thanks. I like to be able to run away in any direction...

Heck I work at Wild West Traders off Austell Road and if I don't have a loaded weapon pointed at me atleast once a week I probably wasn't working. I don't let a lot of people out there that some of my coworkers do. It is a scary job sometimes.

Yet everyone thinks it's the worlds greatest job ever...

The fantasy is sometimes quite different than the reality.

At the Stockbridge Army Navy Store i watched a kid showing off for his girlfriend run a drum mag on a Saiga 12. By the time he finished the 15th rapid fire shot the employees were running through the door to stop him and he was shooting straight at the ceiling.

I've seen a few that really deserved to get booted, but mostly just taken aside and given a little talking to, then they proceed to empty the last mag they had loaded and head on out. The only indoor range I go to fairly regularly is Stoddard's, and they have a really good grasp on what's going on out there, even though they are a retail range. I can't think of a time I've been there when a RO hasn't been actively engaging with shooters that were clearly new, and needing some instruction/help. I only really worry about the guy there for nothing other than to make loud noises and impress someone with no regard for those around them. Friend and I shot a TC contender in 30/30 with a 10 inch BBL there once... Loud as hell and a fun gun! But when we saw some newer looking folks come in, we swapped out for 9mm and .38, just some consideration for them. As much as I love to shoot, and am a self confessed gun nut, I want to share that enthusiasm for my sport, and keep others that may want to get into it positive about their experience, at least when I'm involved. The jack-holes that pull crap like I've read here, get lumped in with the rest of us in most non-shooters eyes, and I can't stand that!

Maybe a decade ago I saw a female Fulton County sheriffs deputy in uniform get booted from Dekalb firing range. I was assisting Glen changing out targets on a cold range at 25 yards when she proceeded to pick up her handgun Glen Weaver told her to put it down immediately and she proceeded to pop a fresh mag in the mag well and rack the slide. When he yelled at her in his best best pissed off instructors voice, I couldn't believe the words that came out of her mouth as she became argumentative saying she was "a trained cop."
I don't think I've ever seen him so mad. Wrong move lady, Bye Bye. (and probably about 1/2 second from an unpleasant physical altercation)

Back
Top Bottom