• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Factory or Custom rifle for long range shooting

AK74U

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
89   1
Reaction score
Im ready to start investing in a precision long range rifle. Im going to go with bolt action even though Ive shot semi auto precision rifles such as LWRC REPR. But I don't know should I buy a Barrett, Accuracy International, Desert Tech, etc. Or should I go totally custom such as Surgeon, Accurate Ordnance, etc. I know that in factory rifles and custom rifles they have pro's and con's. But I want something that's going to be a tact driver out to 1,000 yards. Ive seen the Snipers Hide video on YouTube where they shot an Accuracy International vs Ruger Precision rifle and price point proves that a $1k gun can be accurate as a $7k gun. But what Im wanting is tight groups, or consistent sub moa at various ranges which I know will be kinda hard. Because one gun isn't going to do a list of 100 things right. As far as caliber goes, .308 .300 Win Mag 30-06 6.5 Creedmor are the candidates as I have a .30 can to use on such calibers. (TBAC Ultra 9) I would say for the rifle by itself I'm willing to spend $5k max. Glass is another topic as my experience with optics is low. I'd say no more than $1,500 on glass. Any help from the community is very much appreciated.

Have you learned to dope wind? You can spend $20K on a rifle that "won't group" if you can't already shoot or dope wind. Not being critical but you don't say how long you've been shooting or what kind of shooting you are experienced with.

That out of the way, why are you limiting your optics to $1,500? That's going to be a limiter on choice for glass that's good at 1,000 yards. Target identification could be an issue.

I'll just leave this right here....from Soldier Systems, today:

Not Seeing the Whole Picture, An OP-ED by Ryan Hey
May 14th, 2017
While the Ruger Precision Rifle market continues to thrive, there is still backlash from those that do not see the “BIG” picture. Let’s first address the short-sighted “hater” trend. This same exact pattern of “bashing” occurred back in 2004. That was when the 10 year AWB (Assault Weapons Ban) eclipses and was not re-signed by President Bush Jr. There was some backlash and “haters” bashing those starting to buy AR-15s and talking about it. At the same time, the GWOT (Global War on Terrorism) was in its second (OIF II) phase. And at the same time (September 26, 2006) Zuckerberg launched Facebook publically. All of these factors contribute to the current social media gun frenzy we now see. It just took time to metastasize. Secondly, there is the bashing of the 6.5Creedmoor cartridge. The 6.5Creedmoor cartridge was developed circa 2007 by Hornady and put into production in 2008. 2008-2009 is about the same time the “tactical bubble” popped and the rise of social media based gun companies and advertising started. Acceptance of the 6.5Creedmoor on the competition Precision rifle scene was widespread almost immediately. Science and Ballistics do not lie. And at that time, Precision Rifle matches, competition forums (with the exception of Snipers Hide) were not widely known. Now, there are hundreds of competition forums, groups, and avenues of information sharing. When the abundance of rifles chambered in said cartridge are on or hit the market, and different companies are pushing the cartridge, we see the backlash. And for the record, I personally do not own a RPR. The company I work for does have them for testing and marketing. I do run 6.5Creedmoor in both bolt gun and AR configurations for matches/training and for work related testing. History lesson complete.

I digress.

Most of the RPR “bashing” comes from those that:
1. See so many new shooters entering the ranks of the precision rifle community and immediately begin to share their “years” of experience. (After they just bought the rifle 2 weeks ago.) I get this point. Bluntly put, there are people that have been doing matches, training, and wrenching/building on guns for DECADES. We know who these people are. But people that immediately jump into this discipline and do not want to listen to the actual experts, but yet take advice from a flashy IG gun-famous non-shooters, or the most well know “tactical” instructor. I tend to listen to people winning matches, those that have trained the top competitors and SF/JSOC personnel, and those that have been building precision rifles for decades. Many of these walking encyclopedias of knowledge are untapped by the average beginner in precision rifle. Remember, we are all students.
2. Another factor that “haters” do not understand is the business aspect. Meet Joe Snuffy. Joe wants to shoot 1000y, and learn about Precision rifle. He buys a RPR in either 6.5Creed, 6mmCreed, or even .308 so he can learn, hunt, and maybe compete. Joe then needs an optic. Joe then needs extra magazines. Joe also wants a good sling. Joe also needs a bipod. Joe wants a suppressor and a suppressor cover. Joe needs a Chronograph (cough.cough. Magnetospeed, I know, shameless plug) Joe wants to run good factory ammo, and also wants to learn ammo reloading. Finally, Joe wants to get into training classes.
Let’s count how many companies, minus the initial purchase of the RPR, that now have been affected by one single RPR purchase: 10-12 separate companies. And this is before any customization (hand rails, barrels, and trigger.) Wow, so now a single RPR purchase has now generated sales for a dozen or more companies. How many RPRs have been sold to this date? Here is where I add GGTS. (Go Google that ****.)

Joe then goes out with a group of friends and shows off his new rifle. Guess what happens; Friend A, B, C, all want in on this. Rinse and repeat the cycle. If Joe has enough money and wants to dedicate himself to matches, Joe goes to some matches. Joe now sees the custom bolt guns being used. Joe then starts asking questions to those doing moderately good to winning matches. “Hey, what action are you using?” or “Excuse me, what Chassis is that?” and “What Scope is that?” or “what is your load data and velocity?” Joe then starts to plan out a custom bolt gun, or maybe a competition level AR. More companies now being involved.
So while it’s cool to bash and hate new shooters getting into precision rifle shooting with the RPR, the “creed” or whatever scope they are using, remember this; it is making the market thrive. It’s forcing innovation that is not as evident in other markets. It’s forcing other companies to develop new product lines to supplement rifles on the market. It is also forcing competition to keep up. Ask yourself, or actually ask your grandfather, what was the backlash like when the .308 Winchester was developed and brought into circulation? His answer might be, “well, we wouldn’t have worried about what some jagoff on that idiot box you kids call the internet said about it, we just wanted to face shoot commies and hit the target.”

F.I.S.O.

-RWH

I agree the training and skills is more important than equipment, as long as you're choosing among long range precision rifles, and not trying to make an old milsurp or deer hunting rifle fill a role it was never designed for .

That being said, I think $3000 budget for the rifle and 3000 for the scope would be more realistic.
I'm assuming that you plan on shooting a lot, at different ranges under different wind and temperature conditions, so that you will be constantly cranking those windage and elevation knobs on your scope.

P.S. Are you going to hand load ammo for this rifle?
If you have a $6500 budget for the rifle and optics, I assume that you would want good quality handloads that are fine- tuned and tailored to your individual rifle's characteristics .

You can get to 1,000 yards for 3 grand total with a lot of factory rifles.

Tikka TSR-1
Ruger RPR
Savage 10 GRS or Stealth
Bergara HMR or BMP

All would leave you room for $1300-$1900 for an optic.

But in my mind you have your glass/gun budget backwards. It needs to be 50/50 or hell, even more money toward the optic than the gun.

Nothing wrong with any of the above options. Usually the downside to the factory guns is you are stuck with certain components. There are no aftermarket triggers for a DT. Married to a two stage trigger in an AI. Also mostly married to the chassis. Custom guns free up lots of options.

That said I wanted a QC barrel so my options were limited. Love my DT though.

I hope I didn't come off as 'bashing' the OP. I spend a ridiculous amount of time and my own money to bring new shooters into this sport.

I would encourage him to go to some LRP shoots and ask questions and observe, provided he hasn't already done so. I go to CMP and NRA matches to shoot, but more to learn from the guys that demonstrate time and again that THEY KNOW what they are about. I've been lucky enough to get paired up with really good shooters who thankfully impart any knowledge I care to ask for.

Im at work and going to respond to the first post. Ive been shooting guns off and on since I was 20. Im more of a rifle person than handgun. My only current offering with glass and precision is my Ruger American .308 with a 4-12 Vortex Diamondback. Im not real familiar with sighting scopes and Kentucky windage if that's a factor. I just used $1,500 for glass as I didn't think I would need that much magnification or attention to details on the glass part. Ive never been shooting past 100 yards so Im a total newbie on anything past 100. My rifle now is not sighted in as I don't have a 100 yard range close to my area to shoot and zero it. Ive been watching the forum about long range shooting classes and would like to attend one.

I thought that the more money on the gun as in more hands on quality in manufacturing would need to be more than the optic. Ive got no experience in reloading, but if that's a major way to go to load your own rounds then I can understand that because I only used Federal Gold Medal Match in my .308's in 168 grain. I don't have any idea what it takes to shoot long distances besides patience, understanding, and TIME!. I'm like the only one in my family that has a broad interest in firearms as a whole. As far as bashing goes, no bashing was done in my eyes or your delivery in your post. Any help is considered because I know I don't know everything.

I was at AR Bunker in Peachtree City/ Newnan area and they recommended I go custom with Accurate Ordnance for what they have budget wise is in my range. But I know more people can tell me about Surgeon rifles more than Accurate Ordnance. Not saying that they're not great at what they do because I don't own any of their items, I know that Surgeon is a bigger name and have more customers to my belief than Accurate Ordnance. I'm willing to learn and eager to hone my skills. So I should spend $6k total now that would be putting more time to research on glass. Another thing Ive been told when buying glass and choosing a focal plane which I haven't understood yet.

Back
Top Bottom