• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Factory or Custom rifle for long range shooting

OP, you need to come to my fun shoot June 10th before you spend any money. There is NO reason why you should have to spend 6 grand on your first Precision rifle.
As CM said you can get into it for 2000. or I can get you the ultimate buy once cry once for around $5500 including glass and a class.

calibers: 308 or 6.5 creedmoor are good starters.

Ok, well I believe a 22-24 inch barrel is required in choosing .308 but the standard barrel on 6.5 Creedmoor in a Ruger RPR is 24 inches correct?? I like the magazine options with the RPR. But I will check Accurate Ordnance site for their prices and options. I'm going to try to go to Georgia Gun Club, way across town to try to shoot 100 yards indoors with my Ruger American .308. Im open to anymore advice or idea's gents!

yes 24 inches is a good length. but you could go shorter.

Plenty of options for your price range, from factory to custom rifles. RedX is doing a one day fun shoot out in Carrollton in a couple weeks. I'd suggest going out there and/or going to a match and seeing what people are running. Play with different equipment. See what you like. Especially in custom guns, you have tons of options and can pretty much build exactly what you want. If going custom gun, I'd also give RedX a call as he builds them and for the most part, I think his spec guns, built off a 700 receiver, are running right around 3k, maybe less. Waiting on some 140 eldms so that I can start load development on the one he just for for me.

unfortunately I'm going to NYC that weekend to visit my aunt. But I'll be free after that until first week in August then I'll be on vacation again.

Ok, well I believe a 22-24 inch barrel is required in choosing .308 but the standard barrel on 6.5 Creedmoor in a Ruger RPR is 24 inches correct?? I like the magazine options with the RPR. But I will check Accurate Ordnance site for their prices and options. I'm going to try to go to Georgia Gun Club, way across town to try to shoot 100 yards indoors with my Ruger American .308. Im open to anymore advice or idea's gents!
I believe AO is making a cheaper rifle now with a R700 action instead of a stiller or defiance. Also, check out the work done by REDX REDX . 308 and 6.5 creed are pretty tolerant of barrel length, lots of people have hit 1k with 20" tubes.

Plenty of options for your price range, from factory to custom rifles. RedX is doing a one day fun shoot out in Carrollton in a couple weeks. I'd suggest going out there and/or going to a match and seeing what people are running. Play with different equipment. See what you like. Especially in custom guns, you have tons of options and can pretty much build exactly what you want. If going custom gun, I'd also give RedX a call as he builds them and for the most part, I think his spec guns, built off a 700 receiver, are running right around 3k, maybe less. Waiting on some 140 eldms so that I can start load development on the one he just for for me.

Thread It RedX!!

Ive been watching TiborasaurasRex on YouTube he has a series of videos about getting into long range shooting. Like 25 videos and Im ready to sell some of my guns to get going!!

Or... you could get a good mil-dot tactical scope and 20 m.o.a. elevation-gaining scope base for that Riger .308 you already own and build your skills on that rifle until you can reliably get 2.5 m.o.a. groups at any distance from 300-800 yards.
Then, when you're at 2.5 m.o.a. (10" at 400 yards; 15" at 600) you'll be ready to appreciate a new precision rifle.

You can swap the scope over to the new gun once you get it.

I only have two things, but might have been stated already.

There are plenty of factory guns that will outshot you already for between 2-3k. If you're not starting at your max price for optics, you're backing up already.

I've seen more that one person sell a perfectly good rifle that "won't shoot" when it was mounts or glass all along.

I recommend going to benchrest matches to learn reading wind, sun, cloud cover and loads working with the rifle, long range matchs to learn drop with wind. You'll learn plenty from the guys winning and in my experience they're usually very kind.

Don't go to Georgia Gun Club to try and shoot precision on their 100 yard range. They went to all the trouble of making an indoor 100 yard range and then stuck handgun tables on it.:doh: They clamp a bored to the table and call it a bench. It's a joke and you cannot get into a good shooting position or get stable. I went once and it was simply frustrating. It's like trying to shoot from a diving bored. You can go to the Charlie Elliot range and they have reasonably good benches.

If you want, I'm going to be making another trip to CMP in a couple of weeks and you're welcomed to come along. I don't have a firm date, so we can work it out. You can shoot my rifles and I've got a couple of different styles. Both classic bolt and a RPR in 6.5. That way you can get a feel for what you prefer. I'll also be developing a load for a couple of them and I'd be happy to explain the process.

If you're interested, shoot me an PM.

Back
Top Bottom