• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FAL vs AK

Shemp

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
747   0
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new general purpose rifle...I have pretty much narrowed my search down to either a FAL, PTR-91, or AK variant.

Cost is a factor, which normally would make the AK a clear winner as I could buy the gun ( Zastava M70) and a couple cases of ammo for the price of one of the FALs or PTR-91.

I am looking at the 16" versions of both the DSA SA-58s and PTR91s.

The complication is that I already have over 1500 rounds of quality surplus 7.62x51mm stashed away that I got on the cheap.

They are all uber reliable and fairly user friendly as far as maintenance/parts replacement goes. I live in the suburbs, so full house 308 is a bit much but in any situation where I'd be using the gun I'd want as much punch as I could get. I have .45s for standard HD scenarios.

Which would you pick and why?

General purpose award goes to the AK variant.
Just for shear affordability of shooting And training. For the price difference you can buy a case and a half of AK food. They are a lot lighter and more agile.

I own both and love both but the AK takes the cake for my personal needs.

Plus you won't be happy with a 16" fal.

Last edited:
Well bud, I'm not going to pick one, but I'll say this.

I see all of them when I'm working at the range, but only the FAL's have a real following.
So much so, that we now have a match just for that gun.
The guys really think a lot of them.

If money isn't an obstacle, go with the .308...If it is an obstacle, definitely go with the Zastava. 1,500 rounds of 7.62x51 can go pretty quick. There's my two cents.

General purpose award goes to the AK variant.
Just for shear affordability of shooting And training. For the price difference you can buy a case and a half of AK food. They are a lot lighter and more agile.

I own both and love both but the AK takes the cake for my personal needs.

Plus you won't be happy with a 16" fal.

Why?

This all my personal opinion.
It really dumbs the round down. For me 308 is for stopping power and accuracy out past 300 yards. a 308 isnt a CQC rifle so by getting a 16" 308 I really believe you have a rifle that does nothing well. The short barrel fals/ptr 91s are extremely loud which even with ear protection can get uncomfortable (especially if your the one standing next to them taking the percussion)with prolonged shooting.Now I do alot of shooting I average about 2500-3000 rounds a month through a rifle and pistol.

So if your set on a 16" rifle go AK. Again this is all my personal opinion so will not agree but its how I feel.

Back
Top Bottom