• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Family Firearm Transfer

ReloaderBen

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Brenda Gail's Husband and Jill's Father
231   0
Reaction score
A friend of mine wants to give a grand son one of their hand guns. The hand gun is registered to the grand parent. Is there any legal reason to get it transferred? And how or where can you do the transfer? Some gun shops have a "No Face to Face Transfers".

Thanks,
Ben

A friend of mine wants to give a grand son one of their hand guns. The hand gun is registered to the grand parent. Is there any legal reason to get it transferred? And how or where can you do the transfer? Some gun shops have a "No Face to Face Transfers".

Thanks,
Ben

Please define registered. Are they both in GA?

Thanks,
Ben
Registered where? Illinois or NY state? Wouldn't matter at all. No need (or way/method) to "register" a firearm in Georgia. Are both residents of the same state? A 4473 won't help anything in case it's stolen or used in a crime as it didn't come from a distributor channel through a retailer.

Whatever you do, stay clear of Chuck's Gun & Pawn, they'll "register" it for you and charge you an outrageous fee.

ETA: For some reason I thought you lived in Warner Robins. Sorry.

"No face-to-face" transfers?"

Why would a gun shop turn down the chance to make some money by processing a private party transfer and running it through their books with the mandatory Brady background check (unless the transferee of the firearm has a valid carry permit)?

ATF specifically asked all FFL's to provide this service to help minimize the number of private gun transfers that do not have any background check involved with them.
I think that policy was put in place by executive order several years back.

ATF don' tell me how to run my bidness!
1698062821943.png

A lot of people who don't know any better will say
"you can always give one of your guns to your sons and grandsons without worrying about any federal transfer laws because they were going to inherit them anyway."

But the "bequest or inheritance " exception to the federal law generally requiring FFL transfers for guns between residents of different states ...

...doesn't apply when the donor/grantor/transferor is LIVING. (The law calls this an inter vivos gift, not a bequest.)

Yes, they are both Georgia and the gun is registered in Georgia.

Thanks,

Grandparent: I'd like to gift you this weapon. (Hands unloaded weapon to grandson or his parent/legal guardian if under 18).

Grandson: Thank you Grandpa. I will cherish this for many years to come!

Back
Top Bottom