• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Family Firearm Transfer

"No face-to-face" transfers?"

Why would a gun shop turn down the chance to make some money by processing a private party transfer and running it through their books with the mandatory Brady background check (unless the transferee of the firearm has a valid carry permit)?

ATF specifically asked all FFL's to provide this service to help minimize the number of private gun transfers that do not have any background check involved with them.
I think that policy was put in place by executive order several years back.

I don't, because if they are both GA residents I tell them to simply make the deal in private.

I Get a phone call probably once a month or so of someone wanting to know if I will do a transfer to there buddy or relative or coworker or something. Once I inform them it's not required by law and there is no "registration" in GA they just do it themselves.

No one has ever even wanted me to do it after explaining the law. If they still insisted that's how they wanted to proceed I would take their money, but that never happens.

I wouldn't feel comfortable taking someones money by taking advantage of their ignorance of the law.

Yes, they are both Georgia and the gun is registered in Georgia.

Thanks,
As has been said, there is no such thing as registration in Georgia (or most states). Please educate him. He probably thinks that because he bought it at a dealer and filled out the forms. It is his private property. He is free and 100% legal to do whatever he wants with it and give or sell it to whomever he wants (as long he doesn't know they are a felon or otherwise prohibited), relative or not, within the state of Georgia, without involving anyone else.

It will be a sad day when you can't hand down a gun to a grand son with out having to go through the state or guberment
It's already a sad day as private citizens impose made up laws or imagined protections on private transactions and make up all sorts of reasons to pay for a government issued permission slip that is also not required.

Yes, they are both Georgia and the gun is registered in Georgia.

Thanks,

As mentioned already, there is no registration in GA. If the grandson is 18, it's between the two of them. Under 18, the father will need to hold it until he's 18.

Back
Top Bottom